Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Bamboo rod stuff

RogueratApril 21st, 2012, 1:40 pm
I inherited my grandfather in-law's (wife's grandpa) bamboo rod, it appears to be a 'hardware-store' model likely from the '50's or so. I don't think it's really a classic, so just for grins I'd like to restore it to somewhat useable condition and fish the rod.
The tip section is warped into a gentle curve- should I just leave this alone, wrap new guides and clean it up- or try to straighten the tip? I've checked online and there's not much on straightening bamboo. Most of the info is for shops that restore high-end rods and such.

A friend into vintage boat restoration suggested making a steam chamber from PVC pipe, steaming the tip section, then pinning or jigging it into the needed configuration and letting it dry out and see if it stays that way.

Any experience or wisdom on this one?

The Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...' the flyfishers' verse
FalsiflyApril 21st, 2012, 3:36 pm
Hayward, WI.

When I started my modest collection of bamboo I was fortunate to come into possession of “A Master’s Guide to Building A Bamboo Fly Rod” by Everett Garrison. In chapter 13 there is a section on “Straightening Rod Sections” in which he describes the application of heat with the use of an alcohol lamp and the bending by hand against the “set”. I came across a “Granger” that was in rough shape and decided to restore it; it too had taken a set in the tip section. I applied heat with a heat gun and was surprised how easily it was straightened. However, go slow and use caution. If the rod has been varnished you want to be careful not to damage the finish if that is a concern. It is my experience that enough heat can be applied to make the straightening without sacrificing the finish.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
WiflyfisherApril 21st, 2012, 3:37 pm
Wisconsin

Go to the Classic Fly Rod Forum for expert bamboo fly rod advice. http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/index.php?sid=60352cd3690279a5dc54a70b5d11e6b2. I just got some great advice from there a short while ago for finishing a new bamboo fly rod.

John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
FalsiflyApril 21st, 2012, 3:49 pm
Hayward, WI.

John, I just caught the date stamp in your picture, can you predict that my future will be as well rewarded?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
RogueratApril 21st, 2012, 5:06 pm
Falsifly-
I've got a Milwaukee heat gun I use for removing VCT floor tile...2 settings, 'medium' and high. I'll try the medium level on straightening the tip section, I've already gently sanded the varnish off so no issue with that. The guides, wraps, ferrules, etc are all getting replaced too- way tarnished and not too $$ for new ones.
Am I OK using Spar Varnish on the rod when done? I've heard this is flexible enough to take movement without chipping or crazing the finish.

This is kind of fun; I was going to buy a 7' 2 wt graphite or 'glass blank and wrap a rod for small-stream, small-fly use...then the bamboo one came my way.

thanks MUCH for the info,

The Roguerat

WiflyfisherApril 21st, 2012, 5:14 pm
Wisconsin

John, I just caught the date stamp in your picture, can you predict that my future will be as well rewarded?

That was to see if anyone really looks closely at these posts. :-)

What the heck are you doing on a beautiful Saturday afternoon on a computer? Ya know what is hatching right now in your backyard? Get your butt out there and catch one for me.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
RogueratApril 21st, 2012, 7:29 pm
Wiflyfisher-
a huge amount of info on bamboo in the classic fly rod forum, concensus seems to be dry heat to take the curve out of rod sections. I'm appropriating my wife's hair dryer, looks like low and slow is better than potential blast furnace of my heat gun.

I'll keep things updated at this project progresses, like I said it's a FUN thing to get into and it satisfies my terminal curiosity for learning things, the passion of my life.

The Roguerat

FalsiflyApril 22nd, 2012, 12:26 pm
Hayward, WI.

What the heck are you doing on a beautiful Saturday afternoon on a computer? Ya know what is hatching right now in your backyard? Get your butt out there and catch one for me.

It's one of those nasty four letter words that starts with a w and ends with a k and it's seven days a week for a while.
Falsifly
RogueratApril 23rd, 2012, 4:38 pm
Bamboo, redux:

well, the bamboo rod I'm refurbishing- refurbished since it won't be restored to mint condition- is a Sakura. A post WW II unit mass-produced for GI's during the occupation, casting is described as 'lousy' to 'not bad' according to the posts I've read on various websites. Guess everything is subjective...
Anyway, I've gotten it straightened out TX to Falsifly's advice and my wife's hair-gun, guides and ferrules are on order, it will be wrapped and varnished and then I'll try various reels and line weights to see what's what with action.
At best I'll fish it just because; at worst it'll be a wall-hanger over my tying bench.

The Roguerat

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.