Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Hydropsychid Ties:

PaulRobertsFebruary 21st, 2012, 3:40 pm
Colorado

Hydropsychids exemplify what is so fascinating and rewarding about fly fishing; How greatly a given insect's life cycle influences not only when, where, and how we fish, but how we construct our flies and how we fish each.

The ties below were fashioned from almost entirely "found" materials -not from a fly shop but plucked from nature, the laboratory, even the trash.

Hydropsychid larvae turn up in lots of stomach samples I've taken but, so far, never in any numbers -just one here and there. This suggests to me that, although abundant, they are not terribly available to trout much of the time. I've yet to try LaFontaine's "white rappelling line", but have seen these larvae rappelling in my stream tank (disturbed by another larger Hydropsychid) and on stream at night with a flashlight.

Since I just haven’t seen it, I omit the “gas bubble” in my pupal ties:

Better lighting…

Some Hydropsychid pupae drift a ways at the surface so I’ve tied in-the-film emergers too.

Since adult Hyropsychids are such good fliers upon emergence, and divers attract such attention during egg-laying, I don’t usually tie dry adults. But some Cheumatopsyche can float a ways upon emergence, so I tie some of them.

Divers have been just plain killers for me.

GldstrmSamFebruary 21st, 2012, 4:46 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

The ties below were fashioned from almost entirely "found" materials -not from a fly shop but plucked from nature, the laboratory, even the trash.

Those are some of my favorite materials.:)
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
Jmd123February 22nd, 2012, 9:31 am
Oscoda, MI

"...plucked from...the laboratory..."

Just curious, Paul, to know what laboratory environment you are referring to. Though I am primarily a field biologist, I have had several lab jobs, including arthritis and cancer research, drug product quality control analysis, and even transmission electron microscopy (TEM). I prefer being outside though...and, my Field Biology class is on schedule for this summer! Mondays and Wednesdays 5 - 7:10 p.m. I plan on taking them on at least one field trip per week, perhaps in an "ecosystem per week" format. This area is rediculously rich in various habitats, everything from bog to sand dunes...

Sorry to go a bit off-topic...BTW, VERY nice flies! Especially the first one, high on the realism scale!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRobertsFebruary 22nd, 2012, 11:41 am
Colorado

Hi Jonathan, I was at a university teaching and research veterinary hospital.

Your Field Biology class sounds great.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.