Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Red Water Flea Fly

GldstrmSamFebruary 21st, 2012, 2:00 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

I have lately been thinking about making a fly mimicking a school of red water fleas. I was thinking maybe doing something like taking a small hook possibly something around a 16-20, and then take invisible sewing thread or something similar and tie around ten strands of different lengths from 2-3" to it. Then with red thread do little knots on the end of each strand of invisible thread. That is just a starting point I'll start experimenting with this and tell you how it goes.
Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Sam
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
EntomanFebruary 22nd, 2012, 1:49 pm
Northern CA & ID

Sounds interesting, Sam. Might be you are on to something for imitating a lot of tiny stuff. The only problem I see is that fish feeding in this way usually just swim through the clouds of critters, filter feeding pretty much like the big whales do. This means your fly has to be in the path as they aren't reacting to individuals. In other words, pretty much happenstance, and I'm not sure the fly you use is all that important. Another problem is hooking... They won't close their mouths and turn down, so even if they swim through your rig, I suppose they'd still be pretty easy to miss.

On the other hand filter feeders often veer off and away from something in the water that clearly stands out as different from what they're feeding on (man, have I experienced that frustration). So as I said, you may be on to something.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GldstrmSamFebruary 27th, 2012, 7:07 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

I did tie a couple flies. One using red thread on the end of fine clear thread with nail polish holding it in place, and another using red paint. Both ways are tedious(about 10 min. a fly), but if this works than I'll be so excited. I'll try to post photos soon.
EntomanFebruary 27th, 2012, 9:19 pm
Northern CA & ID

It'll be intersting to see what you came up with. BTW - did you see my answer to your "lost thread" post? It fell off the board yesterday.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GldstrmSamMarch 3rd, 2012, 6:15 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

This is probably the most common question asked, but how do you post a photo from a computer folder?
EntomanMarch 3rd, 2012, 10:54 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Sam,

Open up a free Photobucket account and follow the instructions. Once you have your pictures loaded into an album, below each one there will be a box titled IMG code. Highlight the string in it and right click to copy and paste it between bracketed {link} and {/link} (only use square brackets) in the body of your post. That should do it (note: Some guys have had to change the IMG in the string to lower case after pasting it to make it work, but I haven't had that problem).

Hope that helps... Check back if you continue to have problems.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.