Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > "The Jailbird" Streamer

FisherOfMen has attached this picture. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.1X larger)
FisherOfMenFebruary 15th, 2012, 9:51 pm
NY

Hey guys I just tied this wacky streamer, testing out some of my new grouse "marabou". What do you think? There's two grizzly hackles in the back so there's a froggy look, at least there was supposed to be, and all that marabou-type grouse down is amazing! The slightest breeze and it goes rippling away. I have a feeling this fly might hook a few bass this summer.

I call it...

The JAILBIRD
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
EntomanFebruary 15th, 2012, 10:05 pm
Northern CA & ID

Very nice, Nick. An interesting design feature is the hackle collar you've given it. The style is very popular in CA and OR for stillwater use. Want to hazard a guess why?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
FisherOfMenFebruary 15th, 2012, 10:11 pm
NY

I have no idea. I'd love to know, however.

I think I feel a racy joke coming...;)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
EntomanFebruary 16th, 2012
Northern CA & ID

Well, I don't know about a joke, but I can give you a clue. You mentioned the marabou rippling away in the slightest breeze. In the water, that hackle will cause the water to do some interesting things. Very nice head by the way!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
WbranchFebruary 16th, 2012, 8:45 am
York & Starlight PA

"Very nice head by the way!"

That was exactly my thought when I saw the neat head with no errant material sticking up through the thread wraps, not too long and the entire eye is visible. Great job Nick!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRobertsFebruary 16th, 2012, 9:38 am
Colorado

Very cool fly. What fun!
GldstrmSamFebruary 16th, 2012, 12:51 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Really neat.
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
FisherOfMenFebruary 16th, 2012, 5:17 pm
NY

Okay, I think I'm getting it... So the collar makes a certain current, but does it encourage the movement of the marabou or lessen it?

As far as the joke, I thought you were going to make a pun on Westerners or something. Just how it sounded to me... it's quite possible I'm a bit cynical hehe

Thanks for the good reviews, but a 100% rating?!?! Sounds like somebody's being nice.

How effective do you think it will be? (Although, I know, there's only one way to really find out!) It's not really a frog imitation, I just added the legs because it looked... 'empty'. Will something this "impressionistic" work, or not?

EntomanFebruary 16th, 2012, 6:38 pm
Northern CA & ID

Encourages it dramatically! The turbulence caused by the hackle makes that marabou dance! As to effectiveness, I would think very much so. Though generally I prefer black, white, or olive versions of this style over heather gray/tan most of the time.
FisherOfMenFebruary 18th, 2012, 2:11 pm
NY

Ok, that makes sense I guess - Good to know!

JesseMarch 5th, 2012, 1:54 am
Looks dope to me brother!!!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
MotroutMarch 5th, 2012, 7:13 pm
Looks great! Should catch fish for sure....

I love experimenting and coming up with streamer patterns. I'm sure none of mine are actually very original, but it's still fun to "invent" flies. And some of them actually work on occasion, which is a nice little bonus.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
CaseyPMarch 8th, 2012, 4:32 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

that is remarkably similar to Gartside's Wet Mouse, but he didn't have grizzley "legs." it was tied of pheasant aftershaft with a collar of partridge.

http://www.jackgartside.com/art_wet_mouse.htm

How effective do you think it will be?

it's deadly. especially on stocked rainbows in ponds. went head-to-head with a very experienced gentleman once, tying his streamer with my wet mouse on behind to fish a "trophy" pond he took me to. caught more fish than he, all on that mouse.

cast it out, let it sink a bit, and retrieve it in 1 inch strips.

an entomologist i talked to once told me she thought it resembled a dragonfly nymph, which would live in a pond and move that way.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.