Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > I was curious to everyone's answer on this...

Pryal74February 4th, 2012, 2:20 am
Escanaba, MI

I spend a lot of time on this forum because I am impressed with the knowledge and dedication held by the people who frequent this site. I do use most of my time studying insects and fly tying patterns on here. My inquiry is...

Like a lot of you (I'm guessing) during the slower winter seasons, I watch as many fly fishing videos, movies, dvds and what have you. I was curious as to what everyone's favorite documentary/movies/dvds or sites were.

My recent favorites are;
Once In A Blue Moon (dvd)
Underwater World Of Trout (dvd)
Eastern Rises (dvd)
Sport Fishing On The Fly (show)
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing
BigTroutFebruary 4th, 2012, 10:36 am
I really like the movie, " where a river runs through it" good older movie that really sums up life!
The great charm about fly fishing is that we are always learning; no matter how long we have been at it, we are constantly making some new wrinkle. - Theodore Gordon
MotroutFebruary 4th, 2012, 3:10 pm
I really like the movie, " where a river runs through it" good older movie that really sums up life!

I couldn't agree more with that...The last paragraph of A River Runs Through It (the book) is one of the most beautiful ever written, and is more than anything else what got me into fly fishing in the first place. "And all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot and a four count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise..." How else could you better define the feeling that makes so many of us love fly fishing?

"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
JesseFebruary 4th, 2012, 4:19 pm
True true true. I really enjoy the trout bum series as well, eastern rises, rise, the older scientific angler films with Doug Swisher and the gang, there are a bunch of good ones out there!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
TroutnutFebruary 4th, 2012, 6:43 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

The last paragraph of A River Runs Through It (the book) is one of the most beautiful ever written

Agreed.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
MinnesotaFebruary 10th, 2012, 1:27 am
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

Maybe not a movie about fly-fishing exactly, the movie "My side of the Mountain" makes me want to go out and flip over rocks and study the outdoors. I kept field journals for years on what the conditions were that day. I did keep some specimens until they deterriorated. And of course, the TV series M*A*S*H*, Col. Blake was a fly-fisherman, and tyied his own flys. The box sets of the series are great. The old Dave Whitlock videos are good too. If I know someone who wants to learn fly-fishing, I give them those.
Jason Moe
CzoomFebruary 10th, 2012, 2:39 pm
Yep. I have not seen many fly fishing videos or movies. But one movie that stands out and nothing but great, is The River Runs Through it.
WbranchFebruary 11th, 2012, 8:30 am
York & Starlight PA

I'm older and can remember when you could go to any river in the Catskills and find parking anywhere. Yes, tackle back then was far less effective than it is today. But you had to truly be a skillful angler to land a 20" trout on 6X because the break strength of Gladding "Platyl" was 1.2#.

Then around 1974 we started to see many more guys fishing and I think that was because of the increased publication of fly fishing specific books like "Selective Trout", "Hatches" and all the other authors who jumped on the burgeoning fly fishing money train. Guys who had money - remember the term "Yuppies" well the Beaverkill, Willowemoc, and other NYS rivers were just full of guys spouting Latin like it was their second language. They had the best rods, reel, lines, and had zingers and tools on every pocket of their vests - but couldn't cover a rising trout 25' distant.

Then "The Movie" was released and the death knell of fly fishing for those of us in our forties, who had enjoyed the pastoral tranquility of fly fishing, had begun. Every river I fish in NY, PA, or MT is 1000% more crowded now than it was in the mid 1980's and expotentially more crowded now than it was when I took my first step into the Beaverkill on the evening of July 05, 1965. Incidentally I caught a 14" brown on a Hare's Ear nymph.

I guess many guys who "discovered fly fishing" after seeing "The Movie" find this their favorite fishing film. I however wish it had never been filmed so I wouldn't have to stake out a specific riffle during Tricos or get up so early to get a parking place up river and hang around a few hours, or worse yet, nymph until I start to see some rising fish.

Yes, I know it is selfish of me to want the rivers to be like they were when I was a young man. But I'm not selfish with my knowledge of FF and most of you know that if you ask me a question I'll give you a straight and complete answer.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
GutcutterFebruary 11th, 2012, 9:12 am
Pennsylvania

Then around 1974 we started to see many more guys fishing and I think that was because of the increased publication of fly fishing specific books like "Selective Trout", "Hatches" and all the other authors who jumped on the burgeoning fly fishing money train...

I was one of those guys. Except I had never heard of those books.

Then "The Movie" was released and the death knell of fly fishing for those of us in our forties, who had enjoyed the pastoral tranquility of fly fishing, had begun...

Except I was only thirty :)
I read "The Book" (which was published in 1976) in '87 while I was in med school. My roommate bought it for me on my birthday. I still have it, and have read it many, many times. It is more about life and family than it is about fly fishing.
I watched "The Movie" once, while I was a Chief Resident, and almost threw up.

when I took my first step into the Beaverkill on the evening of July 05, 1965. Incidentally I caught a 14" brown on a Hare's Ear nymph.

Ironically, Matt, I caught my first trout on a fly exactly 11 years later, July 5th, 1976, on the Taylor Fork of the Gallatin - a foot long cutthroat on a Royal Wulff. The day after the bicentennial changed a scrawny teenager's life...

I guess many guys who "discovered fly fishing" after seeing "The Movie" find this their favorite fishing film. I however wish it had never been filmed so I wouldn't have to stake out a specific riffle during Tricos or get up so early to get a parking place up river and hang around a few hours, or worse yet, nymph until I start to see some rising fish...

Amen
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
WbranchFebruary 11th, 2012, 10:31 am
York & Starlight PA

Tony is my protege - I'm gonna teach him how to row my Hyde so when I'm too old and feeble to do row he can ferry me down river while I continue to cast to those lovely rising trout!

BTW I've waxed so poetically about the dry fly fishing in MT that Tony and I are making a pilgrimage to the Missouri in July.
MotroutFebruary 11th, 2012, 11:01 am

I guess many guys who "discovered fly fishing" after seeing "The Movie" find this their favorite fishing film. I however wish it had never been filmed so I wouldn't have to stake out a specific riffle during Tricos or get up so early to get a parking place up river and hang around a few hours, or worse yet, nymph until I start to see some rising fish.

Yes, I know it is selfish of me to want the rivers to be like they were when I was a young man. But I'm not selfish with my knowledge of FF and most of you know that if you ask me a question I'll give you a straight and complete answer.

I see your point, but I don't know...Fly fishing has been too good of a thing for me for me to not want others to discover it. Yes, I know it means less room for myself on the rivers, but it also means more people who are motivated to work hard to protect our trout streams when someone wants to build a dam or something like that. I'm always looking for someone who I can get into fly fishing, it just makes me feel good to know that other folks are getting the same things out of it that I am, and are probably learning to want to protect the rivers too. Plus it means I can have someone who can take some turns paddling when I go float-fishing:)

Anyway, it's never very hard to find plenty of good water to yourself, once you get off the famous rivers.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
WbranchFebruary 11th, 2012, 11:07 am
York & Starlight PA

"Anyway, it's never very hard to find plenty of good water to yourself, once you get off the famous rivers."

That is probably an accurate statement but do the less famous (less fish per mile/less big fish) have the same potential for big fish? Nothing wrong in little streams and small trout but I want to be fishing water where the possibility of catching a 20" trout on a dry fly exists everyday.
MotroutFebruary 11th, 2012, 11:52 am
"Anyway, it's never very hard to find plenty of good water to yourself, once you get off the famous rivers."

That is probably an accurate statement but do the less famous (less fish per mile/less big fish) have the same potential for big fish? Nothing wrong in little streams and small trout but I want to be fishing water where the possibility of catching a 20" trout on a dry fly exists everyday.

I see where you're coming from...What we're looking for on a trout stream is different for all us.Personally I couldn't catch a 20" trout on a dry fly to save my life even if you put me on the Big Hole River in the middle of a Salmon-fly hatch. So I guess I don't have to worry about it.
WbranchFebruary 11th, 2012, 12:13 pm
York & Starlight PA

You need more confidence my friend! Twenty inchers can be intimidating on light tippets to people not used to catching them but once you get a few in the net it will be the elixir that will make you want to catch only big trout.

If you have a Facebook account "Friend" me and check out all my big browns, rainbows, and steelhead. All the larger browns and rainbows were caught on top with flies no larger than a #14 and either 5X or 6X tippets
MotroutFebruary 11th, 2012, 12:54 pm
Trust me, I've seen the pics of the trout you catch on here and I'm plenty impressed...Very nice fish from eastern streams that I know are some of the most difficult anywhere. And I do appreciate the encouragement.

I'm just not there yet, to the point where I can catch big trout on the fly consistently, dries or otherwise. But I do mean to get there, even if it takes a good long time.
KeystonerFebruary 28th, 2012, 12:25 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

"The River Why" is another great title. The book, that is. I wouldn't recommend wasting any money or time on the movie.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Pryal74February 29th, 2012, 1:40 am
Escanaba, MI

I have heard of it but actually never saw that yet. IF any of you can see these movies listed below, check them out.
Once In a Blue Moon
Rivers Of A Lost Coast
The Underwater World Of Trout
Eastern Rises

Of course everyone loves "A River Runs Through It." Probably never be another "real" fly fishing movie to rival it.
-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.