Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > smelly flies

SayfuNovember 25th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Posts: 560We've had for one, a big name fly angler indicate he does not use head cement on his flies because fish can be turned off by the smell of the cement. Fish rises, turns away. Was it my faulty pattern? Was my fly dragging? Was my tippet to large?...or was it my smelly head cement? Could it be the smell of the head cement?
GutcutterNovember 26th, 2011, 8:23 am
Pennsylvania

Are you serious or just kidding? I hope the latter...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
SayfuNovember 26th, 2011, 8:28 am
No, very serious. I'll tell you the name of the angler that strongly suggests that the reason fish can turn away from your fly, especially in the Spring Creek waters he often fishes where trout can get a good look, and "smell" of your offering is Rene' Harrop. Rene' is an incredible angler that knows the bugs, and the stages well, and stalks big fish. He hunts when he goes fishing, and can sit on the bank for hours waiting for a chance at a big head. He says he NEVER uses head cement on his flies for that reason.
GutcutterNovember 26th, 2011, 12:41 pm
Pennsylvania

Interesting that you say Harrop says that, because in ALL of his tying videos he applies head cement.
Think about it, The cement is dry, and IF there were any retained scent, it would be diluted to parts per billion. Harrop advocates a long leader (at least 14 ft) and casts upstream (per his book Learning from the Water) which allows the scent to be diluted over a long distance float.
I don't think that it is a factor.
Famous guides in the Key's (Lenny Moffo for one) fishing for Permit (where you hit the fish on the head with the fly) used to say the same thing. Now, they use epoxy coated crab flies that are much more realistic than their predecessors and catch more fish on them.
Sorry to disagree, but I think that it is a load of crap.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

SayfuNovember 26th, 2011, 2:09 pm
SayfuNovember 26th, 2011, 2:12 pm
I figured he said that because he's a commercial tier, and didn't want to take the time for that drying process...maybe. The parts per billion thing can be contested I would think. Steelhead(rainbows) and Salmon locate their natal streams, in part anyway, by detecting those parts per billion. And the trout's face is can be right at the fly.
GutcutterNovember 26th, 2011, 2:19 pm
Pennsylvania

I'm not disagreeing that you heard that from Harrop. I'm disagreeing that the smell of dried head cement will be the determining factor as to whether or not a trout rises to or rejects a fly.
Maybe a controlled study is needed? I'll participate. Fish elbow to elbow with Rene' Harrop on the Henry's Fork and trade shots. Me with one of his tied flies and he with the exact same fly. Only Bonnie will know which one has the head cement!
Anybody else up for this???
My guess is that he would win, whether or not his fly had head cement, but I'll bet that I'd hold my own. Now if wbranch were fishing with us, too, all bets would be off...

EntomanNovember 26th, 2011, 6:17 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ha! Luckily trout don't have a brain to go along with their noses. I can see the blindfolded taste test now, "Let's see... I detect strong over-tones of beaver mixed with a finely aged chicken, undoubtedly from the Metz region. Is that bee's wax I detect? The chef didn't wash his hands very well..."

This is Jason's area of expertise, so perhaps he'll weigh in if he checks out the topic. I think their parts per billion olfactory ability is related to their need to locate their natal streams. I don't think their brains are wired to use the same sensitivity for choosing food. If they were that picky about scent, they would certainly be able to tell if that's a stick floating down or food. Within reason, I don't think they care. The volatiles in cements evaporate away over time and give off far less odor than all the other influences on our flies. Having said this, I still rub a nymph in moss, mud, or a fish just prior to release. It's good Ju Ju.:)

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GldstrmSamNovember 26th, 2011, 7:39 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

I have to disagree with you Entoman. Fish can smell their food, but how well they can depends on if the fish hunts primarily by smell, such as the shark and catfish.

Sayfu, I would say that for most sport fish it doesn't matter though. If you still want to play it safe just do a good whip finish.

Sam
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
EntomanNovember 26th, 2011, 8:13 pm
Northern CA & ID

I think you misunderstand me, Sam. I agree trout smell incredibly well. All I was saying is luckily, their brains are wired such that when it comes to feeding, they rely more on their other senses. Good thing they do, or we'd be discussing which type of worms to use, not which type of flies.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
SayfuNovember 26th, 2011, 8:28 pm
Problem with me is, I don't whip finish. I use the double under Borger knot. Always forget what Borger called it, but it is a simple finishing knot, I saw Gary Borger illustrate years ago, and have used it ever since, BUT, I do feel I need to use head cememt. I don't take much stock in the smell of head cement causing a rejection.
GldstrmSamNovember 26th, 2011, 8:43 pm
Fairbanks, Alaska

Sorry about that misunderstanding Entoman. I totally agree with you.

Sayfu, I'd say there is no time like now to learn. If you don't have a whip finish tool than I'd say get one as soon as possible or Google how to whip finish by hand. It is a great skill to know even if you don't use it.

In fact I have my fly tying vise in front of me right now and I'm working on mastering whip finishing.

Sam
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
TNEALNovember 26th, 2011, 10:59 pm
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

Two things.: 1) Way too many large browns have been taken on flies that have had the heads fixed with cement. This has gone on year in and year out; I doubt that head cement odor is a factor. 2) A good whip finish requires no head cement to keep the knot secure. Half hitches seldom come undone without it, as well.
SayfuNovember 27th, 2011, 8:37 am
Posts: 560Sam...OH, I know how to tie a whip finish with tool, or without, but I don't use it, and have never needed it. That quick double under knot that Borger demonstrated has been a jewel. You can pull it up clear in front of all materials. You can even put head cement on the thread, and pull the knot up drawing head cement into the knot. Borger made a statement when he demonstrated it..."Are we fishin?...or wearing it in our lapel?"..convinced me. And most all of my flies now have bead heads. The dries, and the surface nymphs have a very small plastic head the bug head color I want..shiny brown, black, peacock, and the knot, and head cement get drawn in behind the beadhead. The thread doesn't show.
SofthackleNovember 27th, 2011, 3:14 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

An interesting thread, for sure. I agree with Tony. If the solvent has evaporated, any scent left on the head would be insignificant. Trout refuse flies, in most instances, because it's not behaving as they perceive it should.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
StrmanglrNovember 28th, 2011, 11:39 am
I'm gonna tie some flies up and suck on em the next day! Hopefully I won't get hooked. :)

Got to agree here, head cement is pretty stable after drying.

Personally, I don't use head cement. Just one more step I don't feel the need to do. I whip finish my dries twice and my wets three times, no it doesn't put too much thread down, at least how I do it. Out of all the years fishing I may have had one or two flies where one whip has come out.
KeystonerDecember 1st, 2011, 3:08 am
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

I would also think that use of head cement would not deter a trout, and I use it all the time. In my humble opinion, if they want it they want it, and if they don't they don't.

Really, nothing used in the construction on flies even comes close to smelling like the genuine artical. Seems there would be about a thousand things to concentrate on besides, "can the fish smell my fly?" but maybe that's just me.

Also, I have NEVER seen a real nymph with a gold bead head, something that is rarely a deal breaker.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
SayfuDecember 1st, 2011, 9:33 am
Posts: 560keystoner...A lot of thoughts can come to mind, however, when the biggest trout you've ever seen rises, sticks his nose up against your fly, and turns away. And I have seen it.
OldredbarnDecember 1st, 2011, 10:18 am
Novi, MI

when the biggest trout you've ever seen rises, sticks his nose up against your fly, and turns away

Sayfu,

This is probably why he's still "the biggest trout" you have ever seen...He doesn't make too many mistakes.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JesseDecember 1st, 2011, 10:43 am
I have heard of trout turning down food based on smell, so i would guess that this applies to flies tied to imitate food. However, it's never stopped me from using head cement on my flies and that has never stopped me from catching fish. Whether it be streamers, nymphs, wets, midges or dries, and big or small fish in varies situations. I don't think that supple amount of cement is a factor. And your boy Harrop, is a little bit full of shit saying that kind of comment haha (no cruel intentions)!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.