Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Back to Colorado

MotroutMay 27th, 2011, 11:04 am
I grew up in the Northwest corner of Colorado, in a little town called Craig in the Yampa Valley, and after long years of not seeing my home state, finally I am going to get back there this summer, in the second week of August. I wish it could be for longer, but it'll be a weeklong trip, not counting the two day drive each way. I think it will be kind of fun to revisit that country fly rod in hand. When I lived there, I was purely a spin and bait fisherman, and I'm really looking forward to experiencing those waters in a different way by fly fishing them. Here's how the plans are looking right now, although they could change.

2 days fishing the Yampa River for rainbows
2 days up in the mountains of Routt National Forest, fishing one of my old favorite cutthroat lakes
3 days in the Flattop Wilderness, fishing Trappers Lake ( which is a pretty famous trout fishery that I think is okay to name here), and probably hiking in to a certain little mountain lake that sits at 10,000 feet, and at least when I fished there last, held some of very nice native cutthroat.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
FalsiflyMay 27th, 2011, 1:09 pm
Hayward, WI.

I remember fishing the Yampa back in the mid seventies, between Steam Boat and Craig, and the Blue between Dillon and Kremmling. In 72 I spent a month in a campground just outside Steamboat which was right on the Yampa, sweet memories indeed. I’d say your going to have great trip Motrout, and I think both of us would agree it’s a foregone conclusion.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Jmd123May 27th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Oscoda, MI

MO, that sounds like a great trip! Best of luck and have fun! Sounds like you'll be in some pretty spectacular scenery too, so if you can, take a camera and show us what it all looks like (including fishies) when you get back.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MotroutMay 27th, 2011, 1:47 pm
I will make sure to post pics. I know I am bad about that as a rule, but for a trip like this I will make sure that I have some good pictures to post.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.