Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Site updates from November 30, 1999

Updates from November 30, 1999

Photos by Bnewell and Troutnut

Underwater photos by Bnewell

View Full SizeView Full Size (2.9X larger)
Add
State
Date AddedAug 9, 2011
AuthorBnewell

On-stream insect photos by Troutnut and Konchu

Closeup insects by Bnewell from the Grande Rhonde River and the Big Thompson River in Washington and Montana

Female Hesperoperla pacifica (Golden Stone) Stonefly AdultFemale Hesperoperla pacifica (Golden Stone) Stonefly Adult View 1 PicturesFly fishermen refer to this stonefly as one of "golden stones".
Collected November 30, 1999 from the Grande Rhonde River in Washington
Added to Troutnut.com by Bnewell on June 26, 2011
Rhithrogena virilis Mayfly NymphRhithrogena virilis  Mayfly Nymph View 1 PicturesA photo showing the minor details on the nymph of this rarely collected mayfly
Collected November 30, 1999 from the Big Thompson River in Montana
Added to Troutnut.com by Bnewell on June 26, 2011

Comments / replies

MartinlfJanuary 31st, 2016, 1:33 am
Palmyra PA

A bit of Troutnut history. This appears to be one of the earliest Troutnut site updates. It's instructive to visit these to see how the site was built.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchJanuary 31st, 2016, 6:41 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hello Louis,

Do you know how I can determine the date of my first post or response to a thread? Thanks.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123January 31st, 2016, 7:37 pm
Oscoda, MI

Hey Matt, I found mine by going to my home page and clicking on "All Posts in XX# Topics (the XX# stands for the number of different topics you have posted in, mine is something like 788). Go all the way back to the last page and your very first post will be on there! Have fun, it was a long time ago...think of how many fish you (and I) have caught since then!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TroutnutJanuary 31st, 2016, 10:38 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Hi Louis,

This isn't really the earliest Troutnut.com content; instead it's a programming glitch of sorts. November 30, 1999 is the default "Date Taken" for content added without a specified date. There's one other update containing pictures Bob added from before I started the site, too. And some pictures I took of small fish previously.

The first "real" Troutnut.com content was January 12, 2004 update. That was when I started photographing bugs, and I decided that February to start putting it together online. There's a bit more on the history of the website in a subsection of my biography about half-way down the page.

It's neat to see some interest in the history of the site!

Matt, Jonathon's directions are right. Currently your earliest posts are here: http://www.troutnut.com/userposts/by-Wbranch/20. Anyone else who's curious about their own earliest posts can just plug their username into that url, cut off the "/20", and go to the highest-numbered page on their list.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
WbranchJanuary 31st, 2016, 11:28 pm
York & Starlight PA

Jason,

Thanks for the "how to" to locate my first post. I did I somewhat differently(but probably couldn't explain to you how if my life depended on it!)

Using your instructions July 22, 2007 was my very first post. That was he same date I came up with using my own process.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfFebruary 1st, 2016, 1:33 am
Palmyra PA

Thanks for the clarification, Jason. I got to wondering how long the site had been operational when John and I found it after talking with Lloyd on the Spruce Creek Outfitters site. It's cool to realize we've been sharing info for about 10 years.

--Fred Chappell
FalsiflyFebruary 1st, 2016, 7:42 am
Hayward, WI.

I got to wondering how long the site had been operational when John and I found it after talking with Lloyd on the Spruce Creek Outfitters site.

Speaking of Lloyd, can anyone give us an update as to what he's up to these days?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
MartinlfFebruary 1st, 2016, 1:34 pm
Palmyra PA

Lloyd is running a ski operation in another part of the state these days which seems to keep him very busy.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.