Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Cabin fever, or what will be the first body of water upon which you will cast a fly this season?

Jmd123February 17th, 2011, 7:11 pm
Oscoda, MI

I have yet to throw a fly this year, as is perhaps true for most folks on here. I might possibly hit the lower Au Sable for steelhead, that is if the rest of the snow between me and it melts away or I invest in some snowshoes this weekend. On the other hand, there is a man-made lake (old gravel pit) in my home town of Troy, Michigan (where my parents still live) that will be thawing out in about a month from now. While living there for the previous two years, I ventured out during the first warm days in March, typically around the middle of the month. Throwing weighted chartruese Woolly Buggers and silver/gray KBFs, I was most delighted to find receptive black crappie, bluegill, an occasional yellow perch, and even a few largemouth bass! So, what body of water are YOU dreaming of right now while winter's icy grip is still upon you but not long for this year?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
BellsporterFebruary 17th, 2011, 8:02 pm
boulder colorado

I caught my first 2 fish of the new year today. The sad part is I've been out five or so previous times. Whoo-Hoo! The creek is thawing.
WbranchFebruary 17th, 2011, 8:23 pm
York & Starlight PA

I've loaded my 8' #5 Gatti with the old Hardy LRH into the car with the waders, boots, extra clothes and about 500 #16 - #22 Baetis nymphs and dries for a sun filled day on Spring Creek tomorrow. I'll be leaving York early to get ahead of the Harrisburg bound traffic. I should get to Bellefonte by 8:00 enjoy a nice breakfast and be on the creek, nymphing, by 9:15. With a little luck the duns might be on the water by noon and I'll have my first dry fly wild trout of 2011 by 12:15. I'll post a report if I have any success.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRobertsFebruary 18th, 2011, 9:23 am
Colorado

Dunno! I'm still trying to get away enough to close the snowshoe hare season in a satisfactory way. It's Feb -spring IS here. Just ignore the blizzards. Their days are now numbered. HaH!!!

Walked a local home stream with bellsporter the other day, and we saw at least one trout dimple for a midge. Or maybe it was a bit of forest duff. The trout are ready to rock and roll too.
TNEALFebruary 18th, 2011, 11:30 am
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

If all goes as planned, it will be on the river where I've only seen one other fisherman in 28 years...
FalsiflyFebruary 18th, 2011, 7:26 pm
Hayward, WI.

I’d like to think I’ll be partaking in Wisconsin’s early season but I’ve heard that the trout are planning to protest.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
CaseyPFebruary 18th, 2011, 8:10 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

yesterday it was 70 degrees at 3 PM on Dicky's Run in south central PA. didn't find any holdover trout, but sure ran into a mess of hungry, spunky chub. thank you, my diminutive little neighbors, for a sunny afternoon to remember.

meanwhile, the little waterfall under the ski lodge has turned into a raging Niagara. Yellow water laced with chunks of snow thunders down the wee brook that takes it to the reservoir from where it will be pumped back up the hill to the snow cannons next week when it gets cold again. it's one of the more elegant recycling operations you could hope to see.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
BenjlanFebruary 19th, 2011, 7:47 pm
Cedar Rapids lowa

I have not stopped, been swinging nymphs all winter. I can not wait for some dry fly action though. Last weekend I brought two brookies to the net. I've had some frost bitten fingers, but it's been worth it.

Ben
Jmd123February 19th, 2011, 9:05 pm
Oscoda, MI

I walked down to the lower Au Sable today to beat off cabin fever (and a lingering sinus infection). I saw a lot of fishy-looking water. I'm wondering if I should bring a rod with me tomorrow (Sunday) and launch a few KBFs or Woolly Buggers into some of the nice dark-looking holes to see if I can't just catch my first-ever steelhead...

Glad to hear that others have been out or will be soon!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
GutcutterFebruary 20th, 2011, 6:19 am
Pennsylvania

"i've had some frost bitten fingers, but it's been worth it"

are you serious? frost bite is worth a few trout?
if you ever had real frost bite, you wouldn't say that. you would beg me to cut off your fingers because they hurt so bad. Been there and don't ever wish on anyone. try stripping line with no fingers. ask the wounded warriors in the project healing waters program - it ain't fun.

when i was a child i spoke as a child.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
EntomanFebruary 20th, 2011, 11:27 am
Northern CA & ID

Six years ago, I spent a week in BC where the temps were below 20 degrees F for the first three days of the trip. During the mornings, I noticed My stripping fingers would get ice on them that didn't melt like the rod guides I was fighting with. Not a good sign... When your fishing for 20 pound steelhead, you can get distracted. Bottom line? My left thumb and forefinger had impaired sense of feel and dull pain the rest of the trip even at room temp (like a bad headache in my fingers), and ZERO tolerance to cold the last few days of the trip, even though temps raised to well above freezing. For months afterword the feeling was impaired and hurt real bad for if exposed to cold. It even hurt to run tap water over 'em! Scared the hell out of me. I'm a California boy that likes to tie flies (and other things).

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
DryflyFebruary 20th, 2011, 11:45 am
rochester mn

Frost bite is not worth a few trout. Wear gloves
I don't enjoy fishing in weather 15 or bellow. Trout are never very active ice in guides, cold.
Jmd123February 20th, 2011, 3:52 pm
Oscoda, MI

I gave up trying to fly fish in sub-freezing temperatures years ago. My line & guides kept iceing up and when I went to remove the glob of ice that had formed on the tip-top, I busted off the tip of my rod! Just not worth the hassle...maybe that's why I'm not much of a steelhead fisherman.

Soon enough, folks, soon enough...don't get too anxious and go hurting yourselves.

Jonathon
BenjlanFebruary 20th, 2011, 6:39 pm
Cedar Rapids lowa

I guess your right gutcutter My fingers were not frost bitten, I was just trying to explain how cold it was and how much I love to fish. Sorry to offend.

Ben

PS sometimes I still feel like a child
EntomanFebruary 22nd, 2011, 7:34 pm
Northern CA & ID

Ben,

Tony is right, frostbite is nothing to fool around with. You didn't offend anybody. We're just all making conversation. If we can't engage in a little hyperbole (or a lot) when discussing fishing we might as well give up both. Reminds me of the old saw about the fishermen that went to confession about his "lies". The priest told him that's the one category of "lies" that isn't sin.

Regards,

Kurt

P.S. I try to feel like a child as often as I can.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
FalsiflyFebruary 23rd, 2011, 8:21 am
Hayward, WI.

I have not stopped, been swinging nymphs all winter. I can not wait for some dry fly action though. Last weekend I brought two brookies to the net. I've had some frost bitten fingers, but it's been worth it.

Ben, when I first read that I understood the expression of exaggeration in your willingness to suffer through a little hardship, in your pursuit of winter trout. Had you actually experienced frost bite I’m sure the story would have taken a more somber tone. I think the following pounce was a result of literal misconstruction. During the season of “Cabin Fever” we must remain vigilant, that our words may be taken out of the implied context, and thus worded with that caution in mind. Had you stated that you “froze your ass off” I doubt that any criticism would have been forthcoming. Unless that is, someone had literally “frozen their ass off”. Fortunately mine remains intact, but I’m sure I will be receiving a flogging to my butt, short with.

A few cc’s of injected humor will inoculate against the winter scourge.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.