User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Penns Creek Inquiry

This discussion is about Penn's Creek

The Discussion

KeystonerJanuary 18th, 2011, 6:03 pm
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Hey fellas, hoping some of you will be willing to give me some imput here.

Basically, I'm looking to check out the Penns Creek and had some questions. Such as...

I had eyed Poe Paddy as my starting point, and was planning a winter expedition as I figure this will equal open water. However, the campground is not open, so I'm wondering what the deal is with winter camping? Could I get away with hiking in and out and just kinda camping wherever (environmentally responsible, of course)?

Second I have read that the insect sizes are bigger on Penns than elsewhere in PA. Does this apply to nymphs as well? Should I have some 12s and 14s along on this trip, or will the 16s, 18s, and 20s suffice??

Any other imput is always welcome too! Thanks guys.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
JADJanuary 20th, 2011, 5:57 am
Alexandria Pa

I think this would be a good starting point
http://www.pennscreekangler.com/index.htm Their is no better place to start than talking to a man(Good fisherman)about his home waters.
You will like this guy.

Best
John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
KeystonerJanuary 20th, 2011, 6:50 am

That's great, the guy's last name is even "Fisher." Cruised the site for a while, and will definately be giving Bruce a call. Thanks for the lead John!
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
TunaJanuary 21st, 2011, 10:07 am
Altoona, PA

I hate to throw another name in but check out "The Feathered Hook" (thefeatheredhook.com) as well. Jonas, the owner, knows his stuff, big time. Bruce does too, but having 2 people to ask is always better than 1, right? Even through the winter, I use small flies on Penn's Creek. I've had great luck with small, size 18, 20, and 22, BH Pheasant Tails, Hare's Ears, and Copper Johns. Bring some "junk" flies, too.
Reel men play with their flies.
KeystonerJanuary 22nd, 2011, 7:51 am

Very cool, Tuna. Thank You. It's almost always better to have more than one reference.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.