Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > BWO

The Specimen

Attenella attenuata (Small Eastern Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly DunAttenella attenuata (Small Eastern Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun View 3 PicturesThis specimen came from the same hatch as a female.
Collected June 8, 2005 from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Added to Troutnut.com by on May 26, 2006

The Discussion

OldredbarnJune 8th, 2010, 2:39 pm
Novi, MI

This third picture from the underside I find interesting. On my last trip to Au Sable in MI in late May 2010 I stopped to sit on some instream structure and was floored by the number of nymphs crawling around on my wading boots. There is always something there but this particular time the activity was heavy.

One of the nymphs stuck out from the others and had this same greenish color as this dun. All the others seemed very dark, the typical browns to black.

I was in fairly fast water that was hip deep in spots and maybe deeper towards the middle of the stream...Anyway it caught my eye and I should of hung on to it or took a photo.

It was very warm up there for that time in May...

One of the nights a friend and I were trying to figure out what was going on. I stepped out in to the bubble stream with a small siene and again was floored about the number of bugs being caught in it. I think it may have been one of those "benthic drift" situations we have all read about...There was everything in large numbers but very small stuff and for the most part mangled up...Or so it seemed...

These may have been smallish spinners, but no feeding fish interested...It was frustrating to say the least...I was showing primo water to someone who had never been there before...I was trying to show it off and the fish were snubbing their noses at us...I guess they weren't even doing that really...They were probably stuffing themselves underwater on all the activity...

Just obsevations here.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.