Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Softhackle Sulphur Pic

BobbygMay 17th, 2010, 7:07 am
North Carolina

Sorry! When I posted my softhackle sulphur post I did not see the "add picture option", only the "submit message" block.

I must not be doing something correctly?
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
SofthackleMay 17th, 2010, 8:42 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

The fly looks great! What hook are you using?

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
MartinlfMay 17th, 2010, 10:08 am
Palmyra PA

I'll second that question. And great looking fly!!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
BobbygMay 17th, 2010, 11:02 am
North Carolina

Well, I guess you guys can see the photobucket pic?
I'm unable to see it!!

I'm not a fly tyer only an obsessed fly angler but thank you for the kind words!

The hook is a Grip #14723BL. I believe it was specifically designed for emerger patterns? I also believe that Daiichi makes a hook so similar it is almost impossible to tell the difference. It's a #1250

Mark, your flies are excellent in every detail! I particularly like the Li'l Dorothy and the Tups! Thank you for putting them up.
Do you think they would be as effective with the Grip or Daiichi emerger hook?
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
SofthackleMay 17th, 2010, 1:10 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Grip Tups

Click on the link. You tell me! I've heard some complaints about the these Grip hooks that the wire is too soft. There are other hooks of similar shape. Daiichi 1150 I think. The wire is a bit heavier.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
BobbygMay 17th, 2010, 1:54 pm
North Carolina

I surely don't feel they would be any less effective. Looks good!
More natural looking to me.

My guy uses the Daiichi 1250, of which I posted above.

- Henry David Thoreau
JADMay 17th, 2010, 2:17 pm
Alexandria Pa

I'm not getting a pic ?

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
SofthackleMay 17th, 2010, 7:39 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Sulfur Emerger

Try the link, JAD.

Mark

GutcutterMay 25th, 2010, 5:31 am
Pennsylvania

mark
check out the tiemco 206BL hook. although not exactly the same hook, it is similar and i can attest to it's strength. awesome fly. beautiful.
but the brown trout print is even more beautiful. got mine in the mail yesterday. being framed this week. thanks
tony
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
SofthackleMay 25th, 2010, 6:50 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

First, an explanation. The Sulfur Emerger photo is Bobbyg's. People were having problems seeing it, so I simply posted a link to it so people could. It is a very nice looking fly. Reminds me of one tied by Allen McGee.

Tony,
Glad you like the print. I guess it arrived in good condition.

Mark

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.