Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > some northcentral penna. stoneflies

Gutcutter has attached these 2 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.5X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.5X larger)
GutcutterMay 2nd, 2010, 10:16 am
Pennsylvania

i never saw a stonefly this big in pennsylvania.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
GONZOMay 2nd, 2010, 10:45 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Tony,

I believe this is a perlodid of the group known a "Springflies" (Perlodini). I recently (4/20) collected an identical specimen on a small Pocono creek. PA has some "Golden Stones" (Perlidae) and Salmonflies (Pteronarcyidae) that are larger. Despite being fairly large (esp. females), the early emergence and (often) small numbers of some of the Springflies means that they are not usually noticed by fly fishers. Until recently, I wasn't very familiar with them either, as indicated by my mistaken ID of this specimen (quite possibly the same species):
http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/782
OldredbarnMay 2nd, 2010, 10:53 am
Novi, MI

Tony,

This is the guy that made the "Mattress Thrasher" famous on the Au Sable...We call it the "Yellow-Throated Stone". Maybe Perlodidae isoperla...I think they call it the medium Brown Stone...

20-25 years back a friend of mine gave some Mattress Thrashers to a friend that was just starting out as a guide on the Au Sable and he claimed it saved his ass the first couple seasons. When he died the fly became his and when he is brought up so is the fly...I guess this is how it goes.

This fly is a great searching fly when little seems to be happening...If you can get it to sit right up against the structure for a reasonable amount of time it's been known to tease up some nice fish.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
OldredbarnMay 2nd, 2010, 11:12 am
Novi, MI

Guys! I really need to get in the basement and crank out some flies...The end of May is almost here.

I was thinking of one other thing about this stonefly...I think it's the one responsible, on sunny days, for dive bomb like egg laying. You will be standing there and out of nowhere this big stone crashes to the surface to shake free it's egg sack. They ride on the water a bit and off they go, if a trout doesn't nab them first.

It's pretty cool to see.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
SlateDrake9May 2nd, 2010, 6:27 pm
Potter County, PA

Those usually don't show up until just about Green Drake time here in Potter County. I don't often see trout take them on the surface, but when they do, it's a fun time. The first time I saw them feeding on them on the surface, I had to use a grasshopper pattern to get in on the action as I wasn't prepared for such a happening. I now carry some large stimulators just in case it happens.

The nymph, on the other hand, produces pretty well in our larger streams.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.
-- Slate Drake

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.