Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Stoneflies

SayfuAugust 3rd, 2012, 4:14 pm
Forgot how to best use this thing. I haven't posted in sometime now. I just bought a new ID book by David Hughes. In it he says that ALL STONE FLIES crawl out to emerge. When you see what looks like stones emerging on the water's surface like I have seen yellow sallies I thought were emerging on the waters surface...NO, it is egg layers returning, that you did not see returning to the water. True, or False.
TaxonAugust 3rd, 2012, 4:53 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Hi Sayfu,

Although I don't actually know if ALL stoneflies crawl out to emerge, certainly MOST of them do. However, there is/are usually exception(s) to any rule (perhaps even this one), so terms like (all, always, never, none) are best avoided.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
EntomanAugust 3rd, 2012, 5:43 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Jere,

Good to hear from you! How's fishing been?

Taxon is absolutely right about absolutes.:) If that is what Dave Hughes wrote, I'm afraid I have to disagree. There is ample evidence that some perlodids (at least in the West) are capable of aquatic emergence. I'm on the road so my ability to search for you is limited, but I remember even Dave's co-author, entomologist Rick Hafele, has mentioned this phenomenon several times in his writings. Perhaps it just slipped through the editing process... Anyway, I also seem to remember we discussed this at length in another thread, so perhaps somebody can google it up and link it. I'd like to know what I said before I contradict myself...:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
SayfuAugust 4th, 2012, 12:27 pm
We did discuss it, and I was interested to know what you thought because Hughes was adamant about stones not emerging out on the water. Fishing has been very poor. I focused on a particular lake this Summer because of all the high water coming from the SF of the Snake due to irrigation needs. We had a drowning the other day...driftboat capsized with a man and his wife in the boat, and the wife drowned. I'm too old anymore to put up with the heat, and have to row in high water especially when we can get substantial winds. It will be a Fall fishery for me this year.
EntomanAugust 5th, 2012, 4:25 pm
Northern CA & ID

Yeah, I was in Idaho during the freak June storms that blew everything out, so I focused on lakes and spring creeks.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.