Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Early Brown Stonefly patterns?

RogueratMarch 19th, 2012, 12:51 pm
Does anyone have a favorite Early Brown Stonefly pattern? I've tied various patterns from books and magazine articles, but none of these seem 'just right' in matching what's happening on The Rogue this month.

Crazy-warm in West MI lately...we're headed for low 80's in mid-March, things are just a little ahead of schedule.

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
OldredbarnMarch 19th, 2012, 3:53 pm
Novi, MI

Crazy-warm in West MI lately...we're headed for low 80's in mid-March, things are just a little ahead of schedule.

Better have your Henny box with you! :)

Don't know what to say about this weather. I just went to the post office and everyone's in shorts, T-shirts, and the kids, who just got out of school, are lined up at the local Sppedway for slurpies!

The hockey playoffs aren't even here yet! Might as well bring on opening day of baseball.

Spence

Look up Mattress Thrasher and shrink it down to a proper hook size and change the colors, if that matters.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfMarch 19th, 2012, 4:18 pm
Palmyra PA

Try a trude style pattern, with clear or dun antron/hi viz/zelon for the downwing, and a brown dubbing body with slightly undersized brown hackle up front.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
RogueratMarch 20th, 2012, 1:26 pm
Oldredbarn: well, I'll be @#$%#, there IS a pattern for a Mattress Thrasher, and it looks like a good one, too. At first I thought this was humor on the scale of my dear departed Dad, although his Mattress Thrasher was red-breasted, and I'll leave it at that.
I'll be tying some of these in 14's and 16's, figure a Mustad 9671, and see what the trout say. That and some black Stonefly nymphs, some BWO's in 18, should be good to go for this March/June fishing.

Weird Weather, part II...it'll hit 86 today, a new record high.

The Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
EntomanMarch 20th, 2012, 2:22 pm
Northern CA & ID

Roguerat,

To bad you didn't check in a couple of weeks back. You just missed at least four topics on the subject that just fell off the board. They're scattered between the "General Discussion" and "Get Bugs Identified" sections, but you can click on my name and scroll down the list of "my recent posts" to find 'em easier. Entomology, some cool looking patterns, fishing advice & fly recommendations, along with the usual banter and story telling included.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.