Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > what is this fly?

Jlw_5178April 22nd, 2010, 10:34 am
Hagerstown, MD

Posts: 7
I was hoping someone could help me out..I got this fly from a department store in a dry fly multi-pack, but i cant find one like it online cause i dont know what its called. It is some peacock herl with a turn or two of brown hackle at the front and a piece of red yarn at the back. does anyone know what this best imitates and what the common name of this pattern is? thanks, Jody
Jlw_5178April 22nd, 2010, 10:35 am
Hagerstown, MD

Posts: 7
i took a picture and will post if i can figure out how???
Jlw_5178April 22nd, 2010, 11:00 am
Hagerstown, MD

Posts: 7
ok heres the pic at copy and paste to your address bar
GONZOApril 22nd, 2010, 11:14 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Posts: 1681

Your fly is an old wet-fly pattern called the "Brown Hackle" (sometimes known as the "Brown Hackle Peacock"). The "Gray Hackle" is a similar fly tied with grizzly hackle. The red "tag" was variously tied with red hackle fibers, red wing-quill sections, or red wool. Like many of the older wet flies, it was not tied as an imitation of anything in particular.
Jlw_5178April 22nd, 2010, 11:33 am
Hagerstown, MD

Posts: 7
i guess im mostly curious about this fly cause there is a really great caddis hatch every evening right now at the antietam creek where i generally go to. the hatch gets pretty heavy, off and on throughout the late afternoon untill sunset. i rarely do see any surface activity,
but id have to assume their feeding on the emergers like crazy.

do you think this fly is a descent caddis emerger? if I could ask another one, why do they use red yarn in some patterns? It must be effective though bc i was talking to someone at the lake nearby and he was taking rainbows on a fly he called the proffesor. it also had red yarn trailing behind it and he swore by that pattern. thanks so much for your help! jody
GONZOApril 22nd, 2010, 11:57 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Posts: 1681
The red tag was a common feature of a number of "attractor" wet-fly patterns, including the Woolly Worm, Zulu, Montreal, Grizzly King, and the Professor. A general approach to covering many common caddisfly emergers might start with a selection of simple soft hackles in tan, yellow, green, black, and peacock bodies. If the caddisfly activity you are seeing is an emergence rather than egg-laying, you can determine which color to use by looking at the body color of a freshly emerged adult. (Many adult caddisflies will darken considerably as they "age" after emergence.)
Jlw_5178April 22nd, 2010, 12:20 pm
Hagerstown, MD

Posts: 7
your advice is greatly appreciated! thank you so much, im gonna do some experimenting with them soft hackles. jody

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.

Related Discussions

TitleRepliesLast Reply
Re: Bead head or not???
In Beginner Help by Gt2003
4Mar 19, 2019
by Jmd123
Re: Fishing buggers, when and how do you fish them?
In General Discussion by Adirman
7May 29, 2012
by Possumpoint
Mosquito Adams
In Fly Tying by Mcflyangler
Re: florida mayfly nymph imitations
In the Mayfly Species Eurylophella temporalis by Homer47
2Sep 6, 2012
by Sayfu
Re: Griffiths Gnat
In Fly Tying by Mcflyangler
1Jun 20, 2016
by Flytyerinpa
Re: maggot ball
In Fly Tying by Bowmandjk
4Nov 6, 2007
by Bowmandjk
Re: Those "green fish" - and a yellow one, and some orange & blue ones too!
(3 more)

In the Photography Board by Jmd123
5Apr 28, 2016
by Jmd123
Re: Underwater E subvaria
In the Photography Board by Crepuscular
13Mar 24, 2013
by Crepuscular
Re: Site updates from October 5, 2011
In Site Updates by Bnewell
1Oct 6, 2011
by Entoman
Re: learning to tie
In Fly Tying by IEatimago
12Jun 29, 2007
by IEatimago
Most Recent Posts
Re: Are mayflies declining?
In General Discussion by Wiflyfisher (Adirman replied)