Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Interesting Web Site

OldredbarnMarch 11th, 2010, 10:24 am
Novi, MI

If you haven't done so check out www.discoverlife.org...It's a general biology site but there are some interesting photos you can click on and enlarge of mayflies, stones, and caddis. There are other aquatic insects like damsels and dragonflies, and insects in general that may fall in to the stream from time to time. These phots found there like Jason's here are good models when you are working at the vise. If you are like me and like to mix up your own special dubbing colors these can be a great help.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
SofthackleJanuary 30th, 2013, 5:46 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Nice, Spence. Interesting stuff.
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
OldredbarnJanuary 30th, 2013, 11:57 pm
Novi, MI

The only problem boys is they don't list the measurements of the bugs...I could use this bit of info. Some of the flies listed from New Hampshire, for example, have cousins here in Michigan.

The photos are great though and not just those of the aquatics.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
WbranchJanuary 31st, 2013, 4:07 pm
York & Starlight PA

Here is a bug site I found a couple of years ago that be of some interest. Once you open the web site you can click on any picture and it will enlarge. You can keep clicking it and the image gets bigger and bigger. Great detail with virtually no out of focus images.

http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20p?see=I_DSC/0001
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.