Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Kennebago Mayfly

Kennebago has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.5X larger)
Name this mayfly
Name this mayfly
KennebagoJanuary 7th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Kennebago Maine

I've been told this could be a brown drake or a green drake.....any help on the correct identification please?
Fish Kennebago, you'll be glad you did.
EntomanJanuary 7th, 2012, 3:30 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Kennebago -

Welcome to the forum!

The insect in your photo is a Hexagenia (probably limbata) male imago (spinner), usually referred to as "Hex" in current fly fishing journalism. Besides Hex, the most used common names seem to be Great Yellow Drake (in regions w/out E. varia), Big Yellow May, and Michigan Caddis. Great Lead-winged Olive or Lead-winged Drake are also common for the darker winged non-yellowish strains of this species. There is a lot of regional variation in appearance and the males are smaller and often much darker than the females. This is the reason for so many different descriptive names for the same species.

Though they do belong to the same family of mayflies (Ephemeridae), the names Green Drake and Brown Drake refer to three tailed species in the different genus Ephemera. Tail counts in the adults aside, all the nymphs of this family have a similar appearance. They can be easily identified by their large size, heavily gilled abdomens and tusks.

BTW - Nice photo.

Best Regards
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
KennebagoJanuary 8th, 2012, 6:41 am
Kennebago Maine

Thanks very much for the clarification. I use an Olympus 790 Stylus camera now. Had drowned two earlier digital cameras on the river before wising up to purchase a waterproof camera. It has a very nice closeup setting.
Fish Kennebago, you'll be glad you did.
EntomanJanuary 10th, 2012, 3:30 am
Northern CA & ID

You're welcome. Your camera does a nice job with you at the controls. I look forward to more of your photos.

Click on this link to check out what I meant by regional variations. You wouldn't think it the same species, but it is. FWIW, if I fished your hatch, I'd call it a Lead-wing Drake. Don't like the name "Hex" and there's not much yellow or olive on your specimen.:)
http://www.troutnut.com/topic/745/Hex-in-NC
Also check out some of Jason's excellent photos under Hexagenia limbata in the hatch encyclopedia pages.

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.