Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > First wild montana cuttroat, CHEA!!

Jesse has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.5X larger)
JesseFebruary 23rd, 2010, 11:44 am
These were my first two trout landed in Montana on this cold February day on the bitterroot! It's a lot different coming here to the wild wild west all the way from the east coast of Pennsylvania and Tennessee. So far though i can't complain, the fishing has beem extreme and because of it i landed my first cutty ever, this guy coming in just below 20 inches. The rainbow below my reel was a beauty also, coming close to 20 inches as well...God what would i do without fly fishing ha? I also just added a smaller rainbow on to the mix. Enjoy guys!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
OldredbarnFebruary 23rd, 2010, 12:55 pm
Novi, MI

Jess,

Start your post from the photography category...You can post photos through there. We would like to see your fish, especially since it's February!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JesseFebruary 23rd, 2010, 1:20 pm
Spence,

I can't figure out how to get these pictures on here. Once i click to browse for them and then attach them to my message, nothing shows up, i don't know what i am doing wrong? Anyone know what the deal is?
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
OldredbarnFebruary 23rd, 2010, 1:24 pm
Novi, MI

Go to Photography board...Pick "New Topic"...Give it a title...Click on "Add Photo"... Then Hit "Browse"...It should go to where you store photos on your computer and pick your picture and I think it's just "Submit" after that.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JesseFebruary 23rd, 2010, 1:43 pm
For some odd reason these photos aren't attaching.
TaxonFebruary 23rd, 2010, 1:46 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Jesse-

If you follow the steps that Spence listed, and it still doesn't work for you, the photo is likely either not in jpg format, or is in excess of 1024 kb in size, or both. In that case, you will need to use a photo editing program to convert it to jpg format, or reduce the resolution or crop it to less than 1024 kb, or both.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TroutnutFebruary 23rd, 2010, 2:19 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Too many people have been having this problem, so I just updated the site's code to accept jpeg images up to around 15mb. Hopefully your image will work now without having to be resized.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
JesseFebruary 23rd, 2010, 7:33 pm
Jason bud i think you did the trick with upping the size limit to the photos, nice. I hope you guys enjoy them now that you actually get to see them ha!
TroutnutFebruary 23rd, 2010, 9:47 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Glad it worked. Nice fish there!!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
OldredbarnFebruary 24th, 2010, 9:03 am
Novi, MI

Jesse,

Nice fish! Those two fish, the Rainbow & the Cutt, are strange to me. They are so closely related and look so similar but they act so different when caught. It seemed to me that the Cutts would bear down and head for the bottom and it was tough to get their heads up. On the other hand, the Bows would go spastic and go airbourne...When they are together like that in the same stream they cross breed a great deal...

What did they take?

Spence

JesseFebruary 24th, 2010, 10:22 am
Spence i definitely know what your talking about with the fight differences between the two species. Surprisingly though, not the case with this larger cutthroat, but with some of the smaller ones i snagged they leaped a good amount. Similar to the rainbows of whatever size. I inticed these larger fish with small pheasant tales size 16.
OldredbarnFebruary 24th, 2010, 11:00 am
Novi, MI

Jesse,

Here in Michigan, on the Au Sable, the guides have a saying, "When in doubt tie on a Borchers!"...But how about the good old PT Nymph!? I was tying up some earlier in the winter and trying to use Sawyer's method...I called a friend on the phone and he said, "Make sure you tie some in a 16." Never a bad choice I think.

You know there is a YouTube in black-and-white without sound of Sawyer tying one out there somewhere.

I camped at the Third Meadow of Slough Creek in 2004. My first fish dove down to the bottom of the stream and walked me upstream...It was funny! Some of the other guys there watched as I walked along the bank upstream like I was out walking a dog.

Never fished the Bitterroot though...

Take Care!

Spence

PS...Some of those fish you said that jumped like Rainbows...I wonder if they weren't cross breeds?

JesseFebruary 24th, 2010, 2:51 pm
Haha nice thats a good change im use to walking the dog downstream not up. And they very well might have been the cross-breeds, very fun none the less ha!
Shawnny3February 26th, 2010, 7:01 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Beautiful fish. Congratulations.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JOHNWFebruary 27th, 2010, 3:53 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Jesse,
I think you will find a big difference in the fighting characteristics between different species of cutt's.
I can say pretty confidently that yellowstone cutts tend to do the classic slow rise but the fight something like a plastic bag. On the other hand the westslopes I've caught are quick slashing takes but fight like a fish atleast half again as big. Unfortunatly those are the only two species I have come been able to go after to this point. hopefully I'll get to add Finespots and GreenBacks in the next summer or five.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
JesseFebruary 28th, 2010, 10:13 am
haha well john those two species of cutts are better than none! It's just a priviledge for me to even be able to catch a cutt being from the east coast not ever getting that chance; hopefully many more will come to my hands. And it won't take you 5 summers, maybe 4 ha, but not 5.
Jesse
MotroutMarch 24th, 2010, 5:09 pm
I love cutthroat trout. Great pics.

A couple years ago I spent about two weeks on the Bitterroot and a certain tributary going after westslope cutts, that was about the most fun I've ever had fly fishing.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
JesseMarch 25th, 2010, 5:13 pm
They are an awsome specimen man and its trule a privledge to be able to catch them! It sounds like you had a great time doing it i hope you get back at them bud!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.