Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Gray Drake Photos

The Specimen

Siphlonurus quebecensis (Gray Drake) Mayfly NymphSiphlonurus quebecensis (Gray Drake) Mayfly Nymph View 5 PicturesI photographed this nymph in the middle of molting between one instar (Instar: Many invertebrates molt through dozens of progressively larger and better-developed stages as they grow. Each of these stages is known as an instar. Hard-bodied nymphs typically molt through more instars than soft-bodied larvae.) and the next (not hatching).
Collected May 13, 2007 from the Delaware River in New York
Added to Troutnut.com by on May 18, 2007

The Discussion

OldredbarnMay 12th, 2010, 2:47 pm
Novi, MI

Jason,

These are absolutely wonderful photos! What lens did you use?

I have always thought that when the mayfly molted it did it somehow along the same lines as when it's emerging in to the adult. Where the wing pad splits and they basically emerge through that opening. This appears more like a snake shedding its skin and it appears to have split along the bottom of the insect and the exuviae just flakes off.

The detail of the veins throughout is incredible.

I guess there is nothing "gray" about the younger version of the nymph, eh?! I hope you haven't started Spence in to thinking that he needs to tie up some transitional nymphs! It's bad enough now all the stages we are trying to imitate!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.
Most Recent Posts
Re: large free living caddis rhyacophila?
In the Identify This! Board by Kjfeen (Taxon replied)