Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > The Run at Boiling Springs

SteelyKrazyJanuary 29th, 2010, 7:54 am
Lititz, Pa

I was wondring if anyone has been over to the run since the damb has been reconstructed and the stream stocked? It has been a year since I was over last and have had an itch to go catch some good size trout with a friend. Last year was tough fishing there but I had landed a good number of 20+ inch fish. We are thinking of trying it out in a week or so.
Thanks,
Jeremy
catch and release and restoration are the devine keys
WbranchJanuary 29th, 2010, 8:14 am
York & Starlight PA

Wow, "a number of 20" fish". Good job. I was over there about two weeks ago and you can't tell what they did unless someone actually shows you. The dam removal really didn't do a dam (pun not intended) thing to improve the flow of the creek. What they did was to remove a dam that emptied into that little channel that kind of goes off to the right in front of the town swimming pool. The creek is as low as ever and the only place I saw any fish was when a guy I met at YBO threw pellet food into the flume right at the top of the spring as it tumbles out from the kid's pond. IMO hand feeding those dopey stocked fish is wrong. He told me they feed them on a regular basis. If the creek doesn't have enough insects and crustraceans for the fish to eat and sustain themselves on they shouldn't even bother putting any fish in. There was a feeding frenzy of a bunch of 10" - 12" trout in that fast water against the far side where the concrete wall is.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
SteelyKrazyJanuary 30th, 2010, 11:58 am
Lititz, Pa

such a shame. I read in an email from the YBO that the stream was much improved, there was a ton of fish stocked and everything was so much better. Some how we need to get the run back to what it was! Its a crying shame that the stream went to crap. It makes my blood boil. I use to go over a couple times a week to fish, and i live the whole way over in Lititz. Some how we need to raise some cash some how to fix the run. Im sorry something needs to be done.
catch and release and restoration are the devine keys

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.