Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > new reel, Page 2

WbranchMarch 31st, 2010, 6:52 pm
York & Starlight PA

"even if it's scratched its a lifetime warrenty so you can get a new one."

I doubt the "lifetime warranty" is going to be honored for surface scratches and blemishes that occur during the course of everyday usage but don't affect the proper operation of the reel.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
EricdApril 1st, 2010, 6:00 pm
Mpls, MN

Anyone have an extra spool for a 1970's or 1980's Martin MG-7ss? Joke. Half Joke. Seriously, anyone?
JesseApril 2nd, 2010, 7:56 am
Woah now starlight woah ha. Im serious though im pretty positive those babies are garenteed through their warrenty to be scratch proof. Now a little tiny scratch i don't know who would even bother to care about that. But i do have a good friend that works in the chattanooga 'Choo Choo Fly and Tackle' shop that got me onto those reels. He got a pretty descent sized gash in his 5/6 lightspeed somehow, they exchanged it for a brand new one, so... I mean you could always buy one and try it out for yourself, the scratch test that is and see what happens.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
OldredbarnApril 2nd, 2010, 10:24 am
Novi, MI

Jess,

I have visited the Lamson Reel site and have had friends who use them and they are very nice reels. I love the photo on the home page of their site...The guy standing there watching for a rise patiently.

I kind of like the modern looks as well. I'm dutch and have always got a kick out of Ari Hart's reels, if you have ever seen them. They look like they belong at the Museum of Modern Art instead of catching trout...

The history of the company tour at their site is interesting and worth a walk through. It's nice, remember I'm from Detroit, that someone is actually manufacturing something these days in the USA.

Back in the mid 90's I purchased an Abel Big Game reel called the .5 and I love it and it is a wonderful smaller western rivers reel. But expensive. It will out live me and the next generation of users though. When I first bought it I was crushed because it was silent when a fish was running and I'm used to that click sound of the older Hardy's.

Anyway! Interesting stuff.

It's funny how we are so in to our gear as anglers. My mentor told me when I was buying my first reel that it's just a device to hold your flyline. He was lying through his teeth. There is something going on when the boys-and-their-toys show up at the access site and start pulling the equipment fron the backs of their cars...Don't let them tell you otherwise...The cane-ites look down upon the graphite boys and it's almost a pissing contest. It's funny really when you think about just how effective marketing can be...

Take Care!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JesseApril 2nd, 2010, 2:38 pm
ha Amen Spence Amen. And it is funny how people are like that about their "toys".
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
WbranchApril 3rd, 2010, 3:15 am
York & Starlight PA

Jesse wrote;

"I mean you could always buy one and try it out for yourself, the scratch test that is and see what happens."

Suggesting to "test" a warranty by going out and buying a product and then in some way damaging it to see it the maker will fix it, or replace it, is quite foolish. Just suppose the product isn't replaced? Then you have a product that may no longer function as intended.

There are people who through their own carelessness will break a rod by closing it in a car door, or lay it on the ground and then step on it and break it, and then have no qualms of conscience about sending back to the maker for free repair, or replacement. The same goes for reels by dropping them from a height high enough to bend the frame or spool and make it inoperable.

If anyone really thinks that these "100% repair or replacement warranties" are free they are very niave. High end rod and reel makers pass on the expected cost of free repair, and replacement, to all of their customers. Do you think they are going to do that out of their goodness? It would be poor buisness management to basically give away labor and or a product in the name of customer satisfaction.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
GutcutterApril 3rd, 2010, 5:24 pm
Pennsylvania

100% agreement with what matt posted. i certainly don't enjoy paying the price of high end rods and reels just because some people break a rod by being a moron. take care of your stuff. and don't be a shithead.
gut
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.