Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Salmonfly question for you westerners

This topic is about the Stonefly Species Pteronarcys californica

This is the West's most legendary hatch. Anglers from all over the world make pilgrimages to the region's rivers in the hope of catching large trout surface feeding on these giant insects. Those fortunate enough to hit it right will have an awe-inspiring experience, regardless of their fishing luck.

In cycles of plenty their numbers are truly astounding. They make up a large percentage of the biomass and this large lumbering grazer has had its niche likened to the huge herds of bison that once roamed the plains and foothills their rivers flow through. The hatch progresses upriver quickly, with adults being in the air or on the water for a given stretch only a few days or so. For reasons not fully understood, the nymphs prefer certain locations over others for "staging" prior to the hatch. An angler can stand on shore and notice very few of them while 50 yards up or down the rocks and bushes can be crawling. Competent guides and astute locals are aware of these locations and often fish them "in front of the hatch" for spectacular nymph fishing. An added bonus is they are also "in front of the crowds." Visiting anglers would do well to fish upriver of the latest angling reports. Fishing water based on "yesterday's news" often leads to seeing more anglers than salmonflies. Read more...

There are 7 more specimens...

The Discussion

TroutnutJuly 30th, 2006, 3:04 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I don't have many reliable sources about this species, so it'd be great if you western fishermen could read over the article and make sure I haven't said anything stupid or omitted anything important. I'll be happy to incorporate any additions you have.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jim40April 5th, 2007, 2:03 am
BC

Hi Jason,

Salmon flies in my part of the world, southern BC, emerge generally in April and provide excellent sport for a relatively brief time.
I've written a little bit about them on my website. Although my photos are archaic compared to yours, you can check out my article on salmon flies, pteronarcys californica, at www.fly-fishing-british-columbia.com
and click on entomology.

Great site,
Jim
RstroutsJune 2nd, 2007, 11:48 am
Posts: 1Here in Colorado, the Salmonfly hatch occurs on the Colorado River starting in late May for 2-3 weeks after runoff has begun (starts around the first or second week of May) at elevations of 7600 feet (Parshall) and a bit higher. The females are bigger (around 2") than the males (around 1 1/2") and have a black egg sack. They fly in varying numbers during the day when the water temperature is in the early to mid 50's and are most active from around duske to dawn. I have seen them mating and holding onto the willows/grass/etc at or near shore as the willows are in their budding stage.

Although awkward, if they fall into the water, probably as the female bombardiers her eggs from the air (as seen in "Big Sky Bears" on Animal Planet or Discovery Channel), I have seen them make their way back to shore. I have also seen them ole trouties snatch them as they flop towards shore. Trout really key in on those flop flop flopping wings! Put an imitation fly next to a natural moving downstream and they take the natural every time because of the flopping wing motion!

Although I understand them to lay eggs while in the water, I have not seen this (nor have I personally seen them drop eggs from the air, just on the tv show).
InvictaJune 3rd, 2007, 7:01 pm
Tulare, CA

Jason,

I agree with everyone's comments. I would only add that at those times I have been fortunate enough to be in a location having a good population of fish, and good water flow, the nymph fishing during the last two weeks leading up the salmon fly hatch has consistently produced the best fly fishing for me over the years. During that time the mature nymphs are migrating towards shore and the trout know it.

John
Aaron7_8April 25th, 2008, 5:43 pm
Helena Montana

I would agree with Invicta last summer I was fishing/camping Rock Creek in June, and the salmon fly were so thick after a thunderstorm I thought it was snow. However the fish were so full of nymphs that it was rare to see a rise out of the fish.
WillametteFebruary 18th, 2009, 9:06 am
Posts: 1Here in Western Oregon the Salmon Fly hatch occurs quite a bit earlier than some of the higher altitude waters. I saw my first salmon fly of 2009 yesterday (2-17). Typically I see salmon flies through April with the majority of activity going on in March. These observations are from the upper willamette drainage (Mckenzie and Middle Fork Willamette rivers). The hatch here is much less pronounced than those on the east side of the Cascades and is not heavily fished. That said fish do take these bugs. I have also noticed that these West-Cascades salmonflies are typically very large, that is, larger than those on Eastern Oregon Streams.
Aaron7_8February 21st, 2009, 7:51 am
Helena Montana

It also depends on if it is just salmon flies you are looking for. In the waters I fish they have three different fishable stone fly hatches. The skwala hatch which are real dark colored to alomost an olive under belly usually about an inch long these come off first. Then we have the salmon fly which usually come off about the time of heaviest runoff, depending on the year. Then the golden stone that come off about the end of the salmon fly hatch and goes for three to four weeks after.
ChipperJune 4th, 2016, 11:55 pm
Posts: 1I collected one of these yesterday (6/3/2016) on the Pecos River upstream from Terrero, New Mexico, elevation 7720 ft. Size is about 1.5 inches; Color is black/dark brown over orange. Seems the stoneflies are recovering from the stream scouring resulting from fires three years ago. The hatch should run 2 to 3 weeks.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.