Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > trout fishing in the west

AndrewFebruary 22nd, 2009, 6:52 pm
Surprise AZ

I have had little success finding good water here out west. I however have fished Lees Farry this was amazing fishing short of that i have had little luck. my question is where are there some good water to fish that is not four hours away. i will continue my search, just hoping for some help.
Avid fly tyer, fly fisherman and bird hunter with little time to do what he loves to do when he wants to do it.working hard to fullfill my outdoor loves and aspirations.
HellgramiteFebruary 23rd, 2009, 9:01 pm
Southern calif.

Hay Andrew you live a desert.What you need to do is look into the Sedona area,Kingman or prescot.These are areas with some altitude with cool running streems.I think your interested in Trout yes? I think there is some Bass fishing in area lakes,or you can fish the aquaducts.My wife and I went to Sedona a couple of years ago and I know there is a nice stream that runs through that area called (Oak Creek)Good luck..
HellgramiteFebruary 23rd, 2009, 10:28 pm
Southern calif.

Hay Andrew I Googled (Fly fishing in Arizona)and found several streams that sound good.All within a couple hr drive.There was one place called (Rim Country),(Oak Creek),(Canyon Creek),(Silver Creek),(Black River upper and lower)Plus a few more Check it out.
Azcat1March 31st, 2009, 8:24 pm
Northern New Jersey

Andrew,
I used to live in North Phoenix and when I wasn't exploring elsewhere I would fish Oak Creek like you asked in your earlier post. I would pay the parking fee at one of the campgrounds or maybe it is just a day lot but it is right next to the creek. Yes, there are a lot of people but most of them are there to hike not fish. I strongly recommend that you purchase Charlie Meck's book on fishing in Arizona. This will answer most of your questions. As Hellgramite mentions, you do live in a desert so if you want to fish elsewhere other than Oak Creek you will need to drive a bit but not in the direction of Lees Ferry- go to the White Mountains or head into New Mexico. I can't remember exactly where Surprise is but I think that it is on the East side of Phx- if it is then you are in a good spot. The fish and game of AZ used to stock the Salt River for the snowbirds to fish in the winter- check their website or call to see if they still do. Also check the road heading out of Phx on the East that heads up into Globe. This is where many of the creeks described in Meck's book are located. Also float tubing in AZ is really big. You may want to try some of the lakes on the White Mtn Apache Reservation up near Pinetop-Lakeside. There are big trout in these lakes. Some names I think are Mexican Hay and Sunrise. Good luck!
AZCAT1
DOSMarch 31st, 2009, 10:37 pm
Buffalo, NY

While doing a goole search I also came across Meck's book as Azcat1 mentioned.

Here it is on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Arizona-Trout-Streams-Their-Hatches/dp/0881506818

I have Meck's "pocket guide to PA Hatches" and a guide to NY trout streams. They have proved invaluable at times. I'm sure his AZ edition is of the same quality. Another weapon in your arsenal I might recommend is a DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer for Arizona. http://www.amazon.com/Arizona-Atlas-Gazetteer-Delorme/dp/0899333257 I have the NY edition and it stays in my car at all times. Its all marked up with hot spots, notes on hatches and even fishing buddies phone numbers. I'd be lost without it! ;)

Synopsis of Meck's Arizona Trout Streams & Their Hatches
In Arizona, you'll find a variety of rivers and streams, from bottom-release tailwater fisheries to fertile high-desert creeks, from the Colorado River to the Valley of the Sun. In no other place in North America can you see Trico hatches in November and again in February and March! In this revised, updated, and expanded edition, authors Meck and Rohmer examine the state's trout waters impacted in recent years by floods, drought, and forest fires, such as Canyon and Cibecue creeks, the lower portion of the Salt River, and the Colorado and Upper Verde rivers. Coverage of many of the lakes have also been revised, and several lakes in central and southern Arizona have been added to round out this comprehensive, detailed guide.

Good luck in your quest.
Andrew Nisbet

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.