Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Nice pictures of accompanying Epoicocladius sp. larvae

The Specimen

Ephemera simulans (Brown Drake) Mayfly NymphEphemera simulans (Brown Drake) Mayfly Nymph View 10 Pictures
Collected January 31, 2004 from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Added to Troutnut.com by on January 25, 2006

The Discussion

BeardiusAugust 1st, 2008, 10:54 am
Posts: 19Several of these pictures show larvae of the midge Epoicocladius (Diptera: Churonomidae: Orthocladiinae) attached to the gills of the nymph. This species is an obligate commensal that feeds on organic material that accumulates on hair tufts at the base of the gills. They are almost always present where burrowing mayflies are present in large numbers. Different species of Epoicocladius are found on Ephemera spp., Hexagenia spp., and Litobrancha sp.
TroutnutAugust 2nd, 2008, 2:29 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Thanks, Beardius. That's really cool. What luck to have an expert on those midges run across my picture!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
BeardiusAugust 8th, 2008, 10:23 am
Posts: 19What luck to find such nice pictures with the Epoicocladius larvae still attached! I was delighted to see them.
BeardiusAugust 8th, 2008, 10:46 am
Posts: 19One more thing...keep your eyes open for midges associated with Acroneuria, Paragnetina, Pteronarcys, Nigronia, Corydalus, Epeorus, and Ephemeridae (Litobrancha, Hexagenia, Pentagenia, Ephemera). There are a lot of parasitic and commensal midge species in the genera Nanocladius and Epoicocladius that are associated with these large aquatic insect species. Many of these species are currently undescribed, though I am in the process of describing many of them. A Pitt student recently discovered the habitat and larval stages of another midge genus, Tricochilus, as living inside mussels and feeding on their glochidia (baby mussels). The habitat, larval, pupal, and male stages of this species were unknown for about 100 years until they turned up emerging in a rearing tank for mussels.

The First Fork of the Sinnemahoning, Kettle Creek, Hick's Run, Pine Creek, and other north central PA streams have a lot of these associations for some reason.

Anyway, I'd love to be up north collecting aquatic insects and fishing the evening hatches. Tight lines.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.