Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Is it my.....

DanoJanuary 25th, 2008, 7:34 am
Vanderbilt, Michigan

...box o' rocks or have the load times increased here.

For the last week the pages here seem to take a long time to come up. Have gotten several "504 Gateway Time-out" (whatever that is) messages, doesn't happen anywhere else....

Dano

Eventually, all things merge into one...and a river runs through it.
CaseyPJanuary 25th, 2008, 9:22 am
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

you might be right. occasionally troutnut takes a while to come up. usually i blame "the server" but which one i don't know. Jason's host may be getting busy. best thing is to do something else for a bit and come back later. and that is often hard on the good nature! deep breathing helps...
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
MartinlfJanuary 25th, 2008, 7:59 pm
Palmyra PA

Dano, I've had this happen in the past, months and months ago, but not recently for me. Damn technology is so complex it's hard to know where the slow down happens.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
JADJanuary 25th, 2008, 8:31 pm
Alexandria Pa

(Damn technology is so complex it's hard to know where the slow down happens)

I started slowing down , and haven't spead since, that might be the only thing I'm a expert at.

JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
DanoJanuary 26th, 2008, 7:45 am
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Well, it took about 3 minutes to load this page. Where the "google ads" appear, the "504 Gateway Time- Out" message appears. Oh well...

Dano

FlybyknightJanuary 26th, 2008, 8:26 am
Milton, DE

Dano, There is nothing wrong with the speed of this site. It comes up in about 2 seconds.
If you are on dial up, all bets are off, otherwise you might consider a google tool bar which comes with a pop-up buster. I'm on the cable with a 2 GHz processor.
Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
DanoJanuary 26th, 2008, 9:17 am
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Dick,

I'm thinking it's my box, had the same problems on a couple of other sites this morning. I'm kinda in the boonies, thus I'm on dial up. Like I said, this problem just started this week, so I'm going to run a few security programs on my browser (IE 6)....

Dano

KonchuJanuary 26th, 2008, 10:45 am
Site Editor
Indiana

I'm in the boonies on dialup, too. Most days this site take awhile to load, and I just do something else. I guess I didn't really think about it much anymore. I'll have to time it one of these days. What speed is your connection?
KonchuJanuary 26th, 2008, 10:52 am
Site Editor
Indiana

I'm on a 53.2 Kbps connection right now, running on the FireFox browser.

The login page took about 90 sec to load completely, and then it took about 15 sec more after I logged in to acknowledge that I did it right. Of course, the whole process takes longer when you get your password wrong three times in a row. :}
DanoJanuary 26th, 2008, 4:51 pm
Vanderbilt, Michigan

I seem to have fixed the problem. A "bug" got into my browser and changed a couple lines of it's .ini file. Dunno what site infected it, but I deleted those lines and then ran my IE Repair Tool....

Oh, my connection speeds vary from 26.4K baud to 28.8K baud even with a 56K baud modem.....

Dano

FalsiflyJanuary 28th, 2008, 8:47 am
Hayward, WI.

Your 56K modem has the ability to transfer up to 56.6 Kbps or 56,600 bps. But that doesn't mean that you can connect to the Internet at that speed. There are many factors involved, including the quality of your telephone line, the quality your telephone company's switches, and FCC regulations.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
DanoJanuary 28th, 2008, 9:02 am
Vanderbilt, Michigan

Yeah, I'm aware of that....

Last spring I was having LL problems and finally got QWest to to run new lines from the box to the house. The juction boxes out here date back to the 70's and there have always been problems since I've been here. QWest is aware of them but, they refuse to step up to the counter and upgrade.

Good news is that we've not had any problems since the new lines were put in and the connection speeds I get now are the fastest since I've been online....

So, I keep my Temporary Internet files "clean" which also helps a great deal...

Dano

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.