Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > New Fly Fishing Club @ SUNY ESF

Jjlyon01October 16th, 2007, 5:02 pm
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Hi my name is Jamie Lyons Son of Todd Lyons (Flyfisher066). I go to SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry and I'm studying Conservation Biology in hopes to be a Fisheries Conservation Biologist. I have just started a fly fishing club at my school to teach those the art and promote it where ever possible. I have plans of having casting and tying classes, speakers and trips, and a lot of community service. If anyone has any ideas or contributions they would like to give me it would be much appreciated because I could use help getting the TroutBums:Flyfishers of Syracuse on it's feet. Thank you.
"I now walk into the wild"
TroutnutOctober 17th, 2007, 1:07 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Good luck with it. :) You're in a good area and there are lots of people on this site from around there -- Ithaca, Cortland, etc. I just moved away from Ithaca in June.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3October 17th, 2007, 3:49 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Welcome, Jamie. I am from Ithaca originally and actually almost went to SUNY ES&F at Syracuse (a mouthful, to be sure) about 15 years ago for Paper Science. Starting a new club is ambitious - I've so far resisted the urge to start one at the high school I teach at because I just don't have the time. Good luck to you.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Flyfisher06October 17th, 2007, 5:40 pm
argyle ny near saratoga

Hey Jamie, glad you decided to join us here. You will surely find alot of good advice here and alot of interesting writings.It's also a great place for a dad to keep in touch with his son.Congratulations and good luck with the club! Dad
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!
Jjlyon01November 13th, 2007, 7:19 pm

The club seems to be going very smoothly for me as a freshman. There is a lot of interest and we have about 15 members as of now after only 2 meetings. We are planning a clean-up(and fishing trip) to the Salmon River for right after winter break and also our first casting clinic will take place around the same time. Thanks for all the support guys and for the donations. I am very glad to see everyone helping a fellow fly-fisher.
MartinlfNovember 17th, 2007, 10:26 am
Palmyra PA

Best of luck, Jamie. I applaud your efforts with the club and your field of study.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PsyflyNovember 18th, 2007, 10:42 am
Wellsville, NY

15 members already, very nice. An old friend received his Ph.D. from there about two years ago. Good luck. email me if you need anything.
"If I might be judge, God never did make a more calm,quiet, innocent recreation than angling" Isaac Walton
www.tierneysflies.com
Jjlyon01January 16th, 2008, 10:08 am

Hi Guys,
Hope you enjoyed your holidays and have tied up some great flies. Now that I am back at school I am looking for some input and ideas for the club from anyone who wants to contribute.
I am looking forward to setting up a casting clinic and a tying clinic, however I have a very small budget ($0) and I am not the most proficient at either. I have a man from a local fly shop (Troutfitters on Erie Blvd in Syracuse) that is willing to assist with the casting clinic. As per the casting I am not sure if one man a bunch of beginners will be enough. Also, does anyone think there is a better time of year to hold the casting clinic. I want to hold it before trout season reopens, but I don't think the weather will hold up for it.
I have never been to a tying clinic and I am deffinently not a good tier and need to learn myself so I really can not teach others how to tie yet.
If anyone has any ideas to lend me they will be greatly appreciated, I am also still looking for a good service project in the Central New York region so any ideas there will also be great.
CaseyPJanuary 16th, 2008, 2:20 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

get thee to TU (trout unlimited) or FFF (Federation of Fly Fishers) because it occurs to me that a member might be able to give you all a talk about the local streams and what you might find there. perhaps the gent who offered to do the casting clinic could do the same thing. just an idea, because i think it's a bit chilly for casting. when i was really new, it helped to be pointed at the right streams with the an idea of what flies might work.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
CaseyPJanuary 16th, 2008, 2:20 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

and TU always has conservation projects that you might join until you can find your own.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
UvabobbyJune 20th, 2010, 12:17 pm

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.