Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Texas Gulf Coast set up

Red_green_hJuly 30th, 2021, 11:55 am
New Mexico

I'm going to Port Aransas, TX end of Sept. beginning of Oct. I'm set on using Airflo Gulf Redfish line. All my gear is fresh water only so I need to purchase a saltwater setup. I'm only going to get one rod and reel. I don't know what size I should get. Guides around the area differ from 7wt to 10 wt. I'm thinking 8wt. Right now I'm stuck on an Echo Ion XL or Boost Blue and pairing it with a ECHO Bravo reel. This trip is like a once or twice in a lifetime type opportunity so I don't want to break the bank on something I'm only gonna use a couple times and I figure I can double it as a musky rod/reel here in NM. I was thinking about getting a 2 hand overhead casting type rod but the guides down there talked me out of it because the best fishing is sight fishing and distance really isn't a necessity over accuracy and stealth. I'm going to have to perfect a double haul cast though. Any thoughts or suggestions on anything else will be very much appreciated.
Ryan Norris
"a day not catching anything is better than a day not fishing at all"
WbranchAugust 18th, 2021, 3:19 pm
York & Starlight PA

I think the #8 is a good choice for redfish and any other inshore species you will likely come across. There are so many rods in the mid price point range. If you aren't going to do it often you might consider going to Ebay and see what is being auctioned. When I went to Andros, Bahamas a few years ago I bought a Temple Fork BVK in #8 & #9. Both rods were very lightly used. I paid $150 for each rod. They came in a cloth sack and I bought a Redington hard case for them.

When I came back I sold the #9 for $170.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TarponflyAugust 27th, 2021, 8:11 am
Corpus Christi, Texas and Santa Fe, NM

I live in Corpus Christi, so I can certainly speak to this subject. Redfish are awesome fish, but you don't need to break the bank for a redfish specific rod. A decent 7-8 weight Temple Fork rod and a basic, sealed synthetic drag reel is all you will ever need, paired with a floating, WF line. If you are fishing from a skiff primarily, go for a line with a short head (something like the Orvis Igniter lines) or over weight your outfit by one line weight designation (8 weight on a 7 weight outfit). This will allow you to load the road quicker for a fast cast. These fish will often appear at 25-40 feet and the most important skill you can master is a quick, accurate delivery with as few false casts as possible. Accuracy is everything and you will not need to lead fish here like you do in Florida or elsewhere. If they dont see the fly, you don't catch the fish. It is that simple. Hit them right in front of their mouth.

Also, fly selection is not that big of a deal either. Before your trip, load up on a handful of size 6 bead chain eye clousers in chartreuse and white as you should be good. Swan Point Landing Orvis in Rockport can also help with a few different fly patterns if the clousers are not getting the job done.

You might look at hiring a guide and fishing the upper Laguna Madre. Not a far trip from Port A but the fish are generally a lot bigger and less spooky than the Rockport area and the fishing pressure is dramatically less. Shoot me a PM if you want any referrals or have any additional questions. If I can make the time, I would be happy to pole you around for a day, weather and schedule permitting.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.