Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Anyone up for a western Alaska float trip?

Sinktip555January 1st, 2021, 5:51 am
Easy float no rapids 3lb Grayling, 5lb+ leopard 'bows, 15lb+ chum, 25lb+ kings. No guide, must camp. mid July
WbranchJanuary 1st, 2021, 7:22 pm
York & Starlight PA

What about bears? Where in Alaska? Who are you?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Sinktip555January 2nd, 2021, 3:29 pm
I floated the Alagnak on the AK Peninsula and seen close to a dozen Brownies and they didn't care about people because A)they had a full belly B) they wanted a fuller belly and C)salmon are the easiest meal. With that being said I fished steelhead at Yakatat and no issues with bears, camped Denali for six days no issue with bears, Four days on the Naknek no issue. My point is the bears aren't a major concern. The weather can be an issue but if you are prepared for it it can be an asset A) the fish are more active, and B) the bugs go away. Which brings up another thing the bugs, Flat out they are terrible, but that can vary. To me I don't care because it is absolute world class fishing.
My name Barry B. I am 65 years old, I currently live in MN, I spent 4 years in AK late 70's 2 1/2 US Army 172INF. I have close to a year in the field and I have more experience than most guides with the real AK. This is my last trip to AK and was ready to go last year...
Now the bad part, thinking about $3 grand each also I think 3 max would work so if had a buddy that would want to go, the big issue is weight on the float plane.
WbranchJanuary 2nd, 2021, 6:43 pm
York & Starlight PA

Which brings up another thing the bugs, Flat out they are terrible

Well that is enough for me to have no interest no matter how good the fishing is. I hate it when black flies are buzzing my head and I've seen pictures of sections of Alaska where there appears to be hundreds of mosquitos flying around each person. $3K is relatively cheap if the fishing is as good as you say it is. The problem for me, besides the mosquitos, is I'm assuming each guy has to cook his own meals and there is no hot water or toilet facilities which is okay once in awhile but not for a week. Have fun and I hope you get your three sports.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.