Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Optics for fly fisherman

Jmd123 has attached these 6 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (5.6X larger)
Trusty Bushnell rubber-armored waterproof 10x42s, bought these in 2000 for my Isle Royale trip!
Trusty Bushnell rubber-armored waterproof 10x42s, bought these in 2000 for my Isle Royale trip!
View Full SizeView Full Size (2X larger)
New (used) B&L stereozoom 7x-30x with a Unitron ring illuminator...perfect for the home entomologist!
New (used) B&L stereozoom 7x-30x with a Unitron ring illuminator...perfect for the home entomologist!
B&L Dynazoom, used but doesn't look it...I can go over 1000x with this one!
B&L Dynazoom, used but doesn't look it...I can go over 1000x with this one!
Mrs. Lenihan's 3rd grade classroom microscope! (or at least the same exact model)
Mrs. Lenihan's 3rd grade classroom microscope! (or at least the same exact model)
For those nights when they're not biting and you're home early...
For those nights when they're not biting and you're home early...
These are small enough to take with you!  For after the hatch...
These are small enough to take with you! For after the hatch...
Jmd123July 9th, 2020, 12:58 pm
Oscoda, MI

So, in my most recent fly fishing adventure, my pair of binocs, Bushnell 10x42s, came in handy for seeing the
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123July 9th, 2020, 1:19 pm
Oscoda, MI

New problem: can't edit the text above!! So here's what I wrote that got ???:

So, in my most recent fly fishing adventure, my pair of binocs, Bushnell 10x42s, came in handy for seeing the
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123July 9th, 2020, 1:20 pm
Oscoda, MI

Something weird is going on, I can't type more than one line of text!
WbranchJuly 9th, 2020, 5:39 pm
York & Starlight PA

Let me ee if i can type more than one line. Wow, you really have some awesome equipment to view insects and other specimens. Interesting telescopes too. I have often thought about buying a decent quality telescope but I live in a suburban areas with a lot of ambient light which would likely lessen my chances to view celestial objects. No trouble with multiple sentences.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
WbranchJuly 9th, 2020, 5:48 pm
York & Starlight PA

Jon,

What about this telescope for my first views of the solar system?

https://optcorp.com/products/planewave-1-meter-observatory-telescope
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123July 10th, 2020, 2:51 am
Oscoda, MI

Matt, if you can afford it, buy it!!! But you'll wanna set that up at your cabin in the country to avoid those city lights...

Don't know what happened to my ability to post multiple lines in the above text. Probably my stupid little cheap new computer decided to malfunction - been a chronic problem with this machine, might have to spend more $$$ on a replacement. Yippie, just solidifies my opinions about machines...

BTW OPT Corp. is a great place to shop for used scopes! I bought all of mine through them and got some great deals. Same with the microscopes, from a different website.

Jonathon
PartsmanJuly 10th, 2020, 6:36 am
bancroft michigan

Jonathon, I think I need the microscope for tying on tippet and some of small flies needed at this time of year! I was up your way Tuesday and had some real fun, lost the biggest brookie I have ever had on, broke me off. It got a little to warm after noon so I headed home. I also caught some respectable rainbows for this river, a good time! Hope you get your computer figured out and enjoy the rest of the summer!
Mike.
Jmd123July 10th, 2020, 10:34 am
Oscoda, MI

I won't reveal where you were fishing Mike but I do know...my biggest stream brookie came outta there, a 12-incher that hit in the last hole of the night, after an evening of being BOMBARDED by deer flies which didn't bother to buzz me, they just landed and BIT. I was proud of myself for sticking it out, though I wanted to leave several times because they hurt like hell! It almost got off too, in the net the fly was laying on its flank instead of in the mouth...not foul hooked though. I've learned that a brookie's favorite fighting style is to THRASH LIKE HELL at the water's surface, and several have thrown the hook in there doing just that. Oh, and my biggest rainbow outta there yet is 14 inches...if that's the size range you're talking about, you did well Sir! I'll PM you for more details...can't reveal too much info lest the trolls go fish 'em all outta there with bait! (ala [REDACTED] Pond)

Jonathon

P.S. Those binocs helped me see the smaller than #20 midges those danged trout were leaping after in the Harrisville Millpond.
Jmd123July 10th, 2020, 10:35 am
Oscoda, MI

P.P.S. Computer seems to be working today...
Red_green_hJuly 10th, 2020, 6:36 pm
New Mexico

You've inspired me to get out our microscope. It's been a 100+ here the last few days hence do not wsnt to go up in the attic to fetch. BTW NM has some of the most light deprived areas in the lower 48. There are some spectacular places to go star gazing.
Ryan Norris
"a day not catching anything is better than a day not fishing at all"
Jmd123July 12th, 2020, 4:28 am
Oscoda, MI

New Mexico is Mecca for amateur astronomy! West Texas ain't too shabby either, where they have the Texas Star Party at about 5000 feet up in the Davis Mountains (where there were once upon a time, but sadly no longer, trout). IN NM there are housing developments for amateur astronomers, with minimal & energy-efficient lighting that doesn't illuminate the sky. Which, although I'm in the "country" I don't have here because I have trees, houses, and lights...but a drive to an open field is all I have to do, and there are several within a few miles.

There is a star party scheduled for September here in Michigan, the Great Lakes Star Gaze, but it's questionable if it will happen or not in these days of the plague...some friends of mine also usually have a big party in August, and I've always taken a scope there, but this year, probably not...too bad because I now own 7 scopes and can set up at least 4 at the same time!

Just got word that I am going to be doing benthic macroinvertebrates for a work project (dam removal!). So, that B&L stereozoom scope might be getting workout her soon...

Jonathon

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.