Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Holy Waters - over-rated

Brian314October 10th, 2019, 3:10 pm
Fenton, MI.

Was up there (Holy Waters) in late May - the Henny hatch was overdue and waited until midnite - night after night for some rising fish - plenty of flies but no rising fish - nothing. Same thing a few weeks later in June w the sulfurs - lots of flies - no rising fish. Went there in August, then early September and then early October - same thing each time. Caught a number of little Brookies on purple haze and patriots, as well as on little nymphs as droppers - but no chunky browns or rainbows.
I go to Current River in Missouri once a year and ALWAYS ALWAYS catch a number of nice Rainbows (and some browns) - WAY WAY WAY more enjoyable.
Anyone else have this problem on the "fabled" Holy Waters ??
If you're in a boat, with a GUIDE on the Holy Waters (expensive) and can cover a couple of miles of river I'm sure you can be successfull - but wading - my experience is one of total frustration. EVERY single guy I meet on the stream catches NOTHING. The "Holy Waters" are beautiful - but not so "HOLY" in my opinion. Would love to hear some responses :-)
PartsmanOctober 11th, 2019, 3:46 pm
bancroft michigan

Brian, I have not fished the holy waters, but I fished one of the branches of the ausable all summer and up until yesterday, I have good days, and witnessed some awesome hatches and spinner falls, and caught some nice fish. I caught some a couple of nice browns and brookies yesterday on streamers. I think the big thing is Im retired and go when I think the fishing is going to be good, as you know we had a very wet spring, and I think the fish were getting lots of food washed down to them, and wading was very tricky for most of the spring! I witnessed a brown drake hatch that was crazy, all day long no fish were rising, and then about 8:30 pm drakes started to hatch, and then there was a spinner fall all going on at the same time! And let me tell you the fish rising all around me was crazy! But these fish really hammered, and the right presentation means fish or no fish. I got lucky and got some fish, but I was so overwhelmed by the whole thing it was cool. So, with that said be patient try and pick your days, I know its hard to do and work and take care of family, my old ass was worn out from driving up and fishing till midnight and driving back home, but were lucky to have these resourses, think about it, you don't live to far from me, and in 2 and half hours you can fishing on a world class river!
Mike.
Brian314October 18th, 2019, 12:42 pm
Fenton, MI.

Partsman - thank you for the advice and kindly sentiments. I probably should have been a little more circumspect and not posted that but frustration overtakes me sometimes...LOL. Man, I catch browns all the time in 3 states but the Holy Waters always defeat me. Tight Lines ! Brian :-)
PartsmanOctober 18th, 2019, 5:35 pm
bancroft michigan

Hey Brian, Im like you I frustrated at times and I get to fish a lot more now a days! Hang in there man put your time in on the river and Im going to pm you. Mike.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.