User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Need some help., Page 2

OldredbarnMarch 11th, 2015, 10:28 pm
Novi, MI

In Pennsylvania, wooses is spelled Michigander

;)

Tony something must be wrong with your spell-check, man...I think you meant S-I-D-N-E-Y...:) Oh, he didn't?! :)

Bring on the playoffs!

Spence

Mr Traver there...He's another wuss from Mee-she-gan...:)

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MiltRPowellMarch 11th, 2015, 10:49 pm
( friv-o-lous )
Unworthy of my serious attention.
( Really not worth my serious attention.:):)

flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
FalsiflyMarch 12th, 2015, 9:29 am
Hayward, WI.

Learn to chuck and there is no duck. Man... never heard a bigger buncha wooses (sp??). :)

Right on Paul.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
PaulRobertsMarch 12th, 2015, 6:54 pm
Colorado

Sometimes, Allan, we just gotta say it like it is. :)

Hey! Wuss is in Merriam-Webster's now!:

wuss wo?os/

informal

noun
noun: wuss; plural noun: wusses
1. a weak or ineffectual person (often used as a general term of abuse).

verb
verb: wuss; 3rd person present: wusses; past tense: wussed; past participle: wussed; gerund or present participle: wussing
1. fail to do or complete something as a result of fear or lack of confidence.
"she'll probably wuss out because she fears my mighty bowling prowess"

Origin unknown
First Use: 1976
RogueratMarch 13th, 2015, 8:35 am
OUCH!!!

This verbal barrage hurts worse than a hook in the scalp...

As a penance for my alleged wussiness I will allow my teenage, novice flycasting daughter to cast in my general direction, and take it like a Man...

fair enough?

Roguerat, aka 'Hook-Piercings guy' (which may start a fashion trend far worse than the hair/hackle thing...)
PaulRobertsMarch 13th, 2015, 11:41 pm
Colorado

It's been meant as razzing, not abuse. I have been going under the assumption that those in the conversation know me well enough. Although that's a poor assumption considering it's an internet conversation after all. Apologies to those that might feel offended. Certainly none meant.
WbranchMarch 14th, 2015, 1:11 am
York & Starlight PA

It sure is funny how this original post have veered so far from the original request for information. Poor Brassie211 with only 3 posts might be thinking; Wow, these are a strange bunch of guys here!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RogueratMarch 14th, 2015, 5:31 am
It's been a long, long winter...I think we've all got cabin fever to some degree, no pun intended. A little levity- or a lot, or too much- depends on the reader I guess- goes a ways in making things tolerable. All in fun, no offense taken on my part at least.

Brassie211, your post got hijacked by a bunch of troutnuts...it can happen!

Keep posting, and keep reading...this is a good bunch of folks

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
RogueratMarch 14th, 2015, 6:37 am
Western troutnuts, or at least those not on on EST...

I'm writing this @ 6:34 am and I see you guys are up...don't you ever sleep!?

It's gotta be 4:34 am Mountain standard time, if I figured correctly- haven't had my 3rd cup of sludge so the brain's still a little fuzzy.

Had an alarm call at my shop, had to drive in and meet the cops...my excuse for early rising.

Roguerat

yawn...
WbranchMarch 14th, 2015, 10:54 am
York & Starlight PA

I've been on a high dose regimen of Prednisone to alleviate a breathing problem. Prednisone is infamous for keeping me wide awake and wired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RogueratMarch 14th, 2015, 11:03 am
yeah, 1:11 am and online!?...I used to drink Coke and black coffee mixed, kept me AWAKE intentionally but the shakes were sort of an i s e...
s u

Good news on the weather front, consistent high 40's and low 50's all week long and maybe 60 on Monday. I'd like to head north and scout some new water!

Roguerat
WbranchMarch 14th, 2015, 11:32 am
York & Starlight PA

When I finally decided to go to sleep it was 4:46. I slept until 10:30. I'm bored. Have tied over 500 flies since Christmas. Rivers are either still frozen solid or the ones that are open are up to the banks and brown.

Luckily my wife and I are leaving for a week in Ocho Rios, Jamaica on March 21. The weather has been a steady 82 - 84 day in and day out for weeks with lows of 75. It's gonna be tough but we'll struggle to get through it. Thinking of bringing my 4 pc spin rod and a couple bucktail jigs and a couple plugs. I tried bringing a fly rod before but it's risky since people walking on the beach don't realize I'm whipping a #1/0 Clouser back and forth.

I try and go out early before the beach combers start their morning beach walks. I've caught snook, barracuda, bonefish, and other inshore species. By 8:00 I'm back at the room for a quick shower and breakfast with my wife.
MiltRPowellMarch 14th, 2015, 12:02 pm
Posts: 106 Water. looks good in middle New York. But we are not there as yet. Alot can happen between now & then.
But the snow is melting slow this year, which is a good thing. Going out today, see the creek again, down threw Collin's flats, heard afew changes made on stream last fall. At a bend in the creek they added rock on a bank.All work had permits & approved, but I have yet to see it. Good day for it.
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
RogueratMarch 14th, 2015, 1:33 pm
Matt-

I think your Circadian rhythms are going to be out of whack, almost like working third shift...then first...then third.

good luck in Jamaica, yeah it sounds really tough but somebody's got to do it.
Can you wade out further to avoid the beach-walkers?

My fishing buddy Chad- who got me started in trout-fishing after my warmwater career- just got back from Bermuda. He and his wife went there for their 25th anniversary and he packed some rods to go flats-fishing. I'll have to track him down and see how things went.

Tight lines,

Roguerat

WbranchMarch 14th, 2015, 9:34 pm
York & Starlight PA

Can you wade out further to avoid the beach-walkers?

I could but it's really not a fly fishing trip for Matt! It's a retreat for the two of us to get away from the long, cold winter. She sees little of me from mid April until the end of October so I don't like to make fishing a significant pastime when we go away together.
Jmd123March 16th, 2015, 12:11 am
Oscoda, MI

Matt, I think my mate (of which I currently have none) would have to understand that after yet another Polar Vortex winter here in MI, I would most definitely NEED to wet a line in Jamaica...but of course I know there's give-and-take, you do plenty of fly fishing the rest of the year.

With our recent warm-up (THANK GOD or the deity of your choice) I'm starting to think about fly fishing again (FINALLY - bought two magazines but still haven't broken out the vise). No steelhead redds at Three Pipes on the Au Sable yet, but some drift fisherman in evidence. Less snowpack this year means perhaps less high spring waters unless April rains come hard and heavy. Three years ago I had the very best May and June of my trout-fishing life with low clear waters and heavy hatches right from the get-go. This year, who knows, but one can always think positively!

If you do some successful fly-flinging down there please do share pics to help warm us up a bit!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123March 16th, 2015, 12:17 am
Oscoda, MI

"Prednisone is infamous for keeping me wide awake and wired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I've taken that drug twice in my life and refused to ever take it again. WORST side effects I ever experienced, felt so wired and agitated I wanted to tear people's heads off, no kidding. A complete horror show for me, won't ever touch it again, I don't care, find something, ANYTHING else besides that!!

Not to mention that I am currently undergoing withdrawal from another supposedly innocent pharmaceutical called Trazadone. Avoid this one folks, worst withdrawal symptoms ever, I'll pm you if you want to know details.

Sorry to get off topic but, to quote an old South Park episode, "Drugs are bad..."

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
FalsiflyMarch 16th, 2015, 9:27 am
Hayward, WI.

I try and go out early before the beach combers start their morning beach walks. I've caught snook, barracuda, bonefish, and other inshore species.

And then I hooked the friggin bikini.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
MartinlfMarch 16th, 2015, 9:56 am
Palmyra PA

In high school there was a new batch of students that came up from the junior high one year and there was this cute blond that caught my eye...We smiled at each other when we passed in the hall etc and I was all worked up...I'll admit... --Spence

Spence-

Ah yes, this is what we call an "attractor" pattern. As you eloquently describe, they seem to be extremely effective, largely independent of the size of the target's brain. --Roger

Not to say anything about brain size here, but it appears that Falsifly may be channeling Spence. We need the hatches to start so we can get out and fish.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
MiltRPowellMarch 16th, 2015, 11:06 am
Posts: 106Brassie211, So- How you doing? This is your post. Do you have a better clue what you want to do opening day? I know your post went all over the place, but that happens. I am sure no one means to jump around, it just happens. ( Cabin Fever ) ,could be to blame.
We all need a 1st tight line, that'll fix it.
You have 2 nice rods, ya listed that's a great start. 5wts. What I started on, & still like today 5wt. & 4wt. on my streams & brooks.
If you have not run off your post, ( ck-in ) let me know how your fairing. I was just a wondering. It can be hard getting started. Ya can PM me if your sick of the folly.
Milt....
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.