Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Czech or French nymphing, Page 2

MiltRPowellFebruary 25th, 2015, 7:56 pm
I myself have looked at all the methods, took it as it is. When broke in, my teacher, made me fish 12ft hand tied leaders, long tippet's to , on a 8'6" rod. And so I could do it. But now I fish 9ft hand tie, not afraid to boil, 24",30" tippet, with single nymph.One fish, one bait,& me. To me that be nymphing. But I be just a creek hopper, but I can, cross, ta nymph, wet, dry, meet all my creek hopping needs.And enjoy my day, the creek,the animals, plants, & the small fishes I hunt for. Is what we as fishers make, I perfer simple, no contest, enjoy !
Milt.
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
CrepuscularFebruary 26th, 2015, 9:01 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Hey Eric, what's a fluer? I was thinking it's just the Norwegian word for fly. Are you reluctant to fish with flies now?

Hardly. Fluer is a Charlie Foxism. Think lure + fly. A lure you can cast with a fly rod. Like those jigs we call bead heads or those sculpin helmeted fluers :)
MartinlfFebruary 26th, 2015, 9:17 am
Palmyra PA

Whew, that's good news. Wonder if Charlie knew he'd be condemning all Norwegian fly fishers to second class fishermanship when he coined the term. Clouser and Kreh, too. Let us know how you make out with those Reel Wings, though. :)
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
WbranchFebruary 26th, 2015, 9:51 am
York & Starlight PA

Fish Skulls too I presume?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Feathers5February 26th, 2015, 10:08 am
Posts: 287Real Fly Fishers, nymph. Have I said that before?
GutcutterFebruary 26th, 2015, 11:16 am
Pennsylvania

Wonder if Charlie knew he'd be condemning all Norwegian fly fishers to second class fishermanship when he coined the term.

I imagine that he didn't give a damn. ;)
Although I can't put words in his mouth, I presume by his comments, that Eric doesn't, either.
Nor do I. :O
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
CrepuscularFebruary 26th, 2015, 11:22 am
Boiling Springs, PA

Whew, that's good news. Wonder if Charlie knew he'd be condemning all Norwegian fly fishers to second class fishermanship when he coined the term. Clouser and Kreh, too. Let us know how you make out with those Reel Wings, though. :)

I do not understand the Norwegian reference or the Kreh one. Remember I'm operating with limited mental capabilities. Someone peed in the gene pool. The Norwegian word for fly is Flue. (I think)

As far as Bob goes, any thing that attaches to my tippet that's made primarily from natural materials, I can comfortably throw with a fly rod and lets me catch over 40 different species of fish from bluegills to bluefin tuna, I'm using it.

If those reel wings don't twist my tippet, I'm not telling anyone, because they sure do look good. Those fish seem to get really picky for those daytime Drunella spinners. I need a secret weapon.
MartinlfFebruary 26th, 2015, 12:00 pm
Palmyra PA

OK, Eric, I'm getting a better sense of what does and does not constitute a fluer, on this side of the pond, at least. I'm just wondering now what percentage of synthetics makes a fly a fluer, and if steel is a natural or synthetic material.

A Norwegian colleague tells me "fluer" is the Norwegian word for flies, but I've just realized it may be the plural with the -r on the end. (I can read Old Norse better than the modern version, and the Vikings probably speared their fish--no fluer back then.) I just don't know why Charlie didn't call it a flure (fl y + l ure), to spare those poor Nordics.

Oh, the Kreh reference is because Lefty is a big fan of the BC Minnow, synthetic or no, and you know Bob uses all synthetics for some applications. I once read a pretty strong attack on his fly, calling it a . . . "jig." Guess it just depends on what club you're in. Or not in.

As for you needing a secret weapon, now you're stretching my credulity pretty far with that claim. Some of us are only hoping you don't have a change of heart and take up Euro nymphing. You're already pretty hard on those poor fishes. Tight lines; we need a warm up to get us off the computer and on the stream!

--Fred Chappell
CrepuscularFebruary 26th, 2015, 12:44 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

yes it is the plural, but I wasn't using the plural, and who knows maybe Charlie did spell that way, mr english teacher...I don't spells too good. :)

I love that "is this a fly or a lure" debate. Talk about splitting hairs and drawing lines in the sand...I get an immense amount of pleasure listening to people duke it out. To each his own. Luckily I am fully aware of my hypocrisies so I can say and do anything I want.

There is no chance on me fishing that way, I like my short cane rods and dry flies too much.
MartinlfFebruary 26th, 2015, 2:26 pm
Palmyra PA

Yes, it is fun. Thanks for helping pass the time, and teaching me about fluer and fluers.

Don't worry about the spelling; the fish don't give a damn.

And on Troutnut, frankly, my friend, neither do I. :)

--Fred Chappell
Kschaefer3February 26th, 2015, 3:03 pm
St. Paul, MN

I draw lines all over in the sand. Most people think they are just squiggles, but they have meaning to me. :)

In all honesty, my fishing decisions have nothing to do with what I think is the "right" way to fish, or the "pure" way to fish. I fish the methods I do because they bring me joy, and don't fish the methods I don't because they don't bring me the same joy. As many have said on this thread and in others, no one should care how anyone else fishes (within their legal right, obviously). Be a real man like Bruce and nymph if you want. Competition nymph if you want. Go dry or die if you want. Jerk strip big streamers if you want. Fish whatever method fulfills what you want fishing to be.

I can confirm that Eric doesn't care how others fish (or doesn't say it). I'm a heathen, and he's still nice to me! ;)
WbranchFebruary 26th, 2015, 5:23 pm
York & Starlight PA

There is no chance on me fishing that way, I like my short cane rods and dry flies too much.

Well I love my super fast 9' graphite rods and rising trout but I guess I just want to catch more fish when there are no rising fish.
MiltRPowellFebruary 26th, 2015, 7:16 pm
Posts: 106Wbranch, something tells me you'll do fine, most likely alot better then someone esle. I mean ya bring alot to the creek, river in your neck of the woods. Ya just didn't start fishing this thing seems we all love. The problem is easy, we as fly guy's we have to many toys to play with. We want ta take all to the stream & play with all of it. But, that would be crazy. But with that said, may we all have fun with our toys when we get out of house & back on the waters we all seem ta, go crazy over.
Milt...
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
PaulRobertsFebruary 26th, 2015, 8:27 pm
Colorado

Hmmmmm... guess I've taken trout by so many methods, I don't know where I fit in the hierarchies anymore.

I've caught trout via: flies, "flures", lures, bait, hand-lining, pole-fishing, snagging, noodling, seining, electro-fishing, and gill-netting. I've taken other species with still other methods including archery, gigging, .22 rifle, sling-shot, and stunning with rocks. Not always pretty but my curiosity can be insatiable. I’ve also “fished” for raptors with a fishing rod and a mouse lure, and for spotted owls in the Cascades using "lures" (squirrel skin tacked to a block of wood) and a telescoping fishing pole.

However, I can be a gentleman too: I once refused a group of Chinese villagers that wanted to poison a stretch of river for me after they'd learned I enjoyed "fishing". And, I spent quite a bit of time and effort trying to curb trout and salmon snagging along Lake Ontario and Finger Lakes tribs, as well as teaching others the breadth of beauty and significance of wild trout.

Guess I'm just -rapaciously at times- interested in the fish, and just about everything else that respires in one form or another. Where do I fit in the hierarchies out there? Well, it depends on how I’m dressed. If you ever see me in the pike suit my wife made for me you should follow your natural instincts and head off in another direction; there are so many to choose from.
WbranchFebruary 26th, 2015, 8:55 pm
York & Starlight PA

As much as I love to fly fish there are times when water and/or weather conditions are not really conducive to productive fly fishing. That is when I break out whatever tackle I have that will provide me with the strongest likelihood of being successful. That might be a 10' noodle rod, float, and spinning reel as in this photo or maybe my 11' 6" pin rod and Okuma Raw centerpin reel.

The goofy grin was because this is a staged photo. My best bud was needling me with "Hey Flyman what would all your Internet friends think of you now?" It was funny.

MiltRPowellFebruary 26th, 2015, 9:33 pm
Posts: 106Hey, great photo, all ya need now is some english hooks & 6inch bait, be going for pike......

flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
WbranchFebruary 26th, 2015, 9:36 pm
York & Starlight PA

Actually this was a steelhead trip to the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY.
MiltRPowellFebruary 26th, 2015, 10:55 pm
Posts: 106Cool, great & your right on getting out there. I got alot of other gear, maybe time ta open the boxes, other vests, spin rods, line up & just go back some root's fishing. It does not always got be the fly. There are times, & ya say ah, ain't good taday.But if I go into my toy boxes, hell loads a pretty stuff to fish with. I would really be a flying, but spinning,ain't done that in some time.Ah food for thought, thanks Wbranch, got me thinking.....
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
Feathers5February 27th, 2015, 8:06 am
Posts: 287“Purity (in fly fishing) by nostalgia is an interesting idea, but the logic of it is inescapable. If we carry purism to its logical conclusion, to do it right you’d have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as no to violate another essential element of the fly fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each.” -John Gierach

MartinlfFebruary 27th, 2015, 9:18 am
Palmyra PA

hit your trout on the head with rocks

and stunning with rocks

Ah, now I see that Paul was just trying out the purist approach! :)

--Fred Chappell
Page:123

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.