Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Salmon River Idaho

MdbrickellJanuary 17th, 2015, 10:52 am
Posts: 2Going to be wade fishing the Salmon River in Idaho this summer. I plan on fishing the north and middle forks. Any advise as to hot spots that are accessible to an individual wade fishing without a guide? Thanks
WbranchJanuary 17th, 2015, 8:48 pm
York & Starlight PA

Do a Google search and see what you come up with.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfJanuary 17th, 2015, 11:03 pm
Palmyra PA

Yes, I doubt that anyone here who is familiar with the river (if anyone is, I'm not) will give up their honey holes on a public forum that is viewed by the world. When you get there go into the closest shop, buy fly tying materials, flies, leaders, tippet, split shot, floatant, etc. -- whatever you might need throughout the coming season (i.e. spend enough money to make your questions worthwhile) then ask for some suggestions. That has always worked for me in places where I wasn't familiar with the water. A search of the internet might also yield some suggestions.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
MdbrickellJanuary 18th, 2015, 9:40 am
Posts: 2That seems odd to me. I am always willing to tell someone where I have caught fish and even with what flies. It's not like I need to catch all the fish to eat to survive. And there is a pretty good chance they won't catch all the fish in the river either.. Just me I guess
WbranchJanuary 18th, 2015, 9:49 am
York & Starlight PA

The reason you received the answers you did is because we don't know you, you came out of nowhere and with your very first post asked as to divulge, on the Internet, where the "hot spots" are on a specific river. Everyone that I know on this forum is very knowledgeable and friendly but typically we just don't go and ask each other, unless we are very close friends, where to go in a specific river to have a great day.

It's kind of like when you meet someone for the very first time and you would like to have a friendship with that person you wouldn't go and ask to borrow $50 from the guy would you?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfJanuary 18th, 2015, 10:33 pm
Palmyra PA

Mdbrickell, as I said, I'm not familiar with the stream.

But, does it seem odd to you that I took some time out of my day and gave you the best tip I could?

It seems odd to me that you didn't say thanks.

As for your comments, I'm with Matt (WBranch).
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Kschaefer3January 19th, 2015, 10:06 am
St. Paul, MN

I agree with Martinlf that going to a shop in the area is the best bet. They will give you productive spots to catch fish, and general patterns that work. Usually I try to spend at least $20. Start spending well over $100 and they open up a bit more.

WBranch makes some very good points on giving/not giving information on specific spots in the river. On top of that, I like to fish to find solitude. The only people I like to see on a river are the people I came with. For that reason alone, any spot I frequent is held close.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.