Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Best Literature

MarshallPNovember 3rd, 2014, 6:49 pm
Rhode Island

As a beginner fly fisherman and an out of work English Major whose friends all prefer spin reel fishing I've been voraciously reading more or less anything to do with fly fishing. This of course includes Troutnut, catalogs, reviews and what not but am only now beginning to understand the sheer mass of literature around this wonderful subject.

I recently raided my (passed) grandfather's library and to my pleasant surprise found it well stocked in books. I'm simultaneously tackling Trout Madness by Robert Traver (this book lives in my car), A 1923 edition of Trout-Fishing For The Beginner by Richard Clapham, and will soon begin The Well Tempered Angler by Arnold Gingrich. Also included in the library: The Atlantic Salmon, Out of the Mainstream- Philip Crowe,The Making of a Trout Stream- Eric Taverner, among other "how to" and informationals.

I've also found the nearly everyone (even non-fisherman) seem to have a favorite fly fishing novel and my father was quick to pass along The River Why by James Duncan which I'm also digesting.

My question is this (especially with the on coming cold weather), what's your favorite novel, book, story, how to, or other wise related to fly fishing page turner and what's it offer the Constant Reader?
MillcreekNovember 3rd, 2014, 8:12 pm
Healdsburg, CA

MarshallP - I've read The River Why and enjoyed it, a couple other novels you might try are Norman Maclean's "A River Runs Through It and Other Stories" and Hemingway's "The Nick Adams Stories".
MartinlfNovember 4th, 2014, 12:10 am
Palmyra PA

I liked The River Why too, but was disappointed by the movie. However, as another English major, I typically expect that the book will be better than the movie anyway. Nick Lyons writes some fine tales as well.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TroutnutNovember 5th, 2014, 5:19 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Ernest Schwiebert's stories about fly fishing are my favorites.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
OldredbarnNovember 6th, 2014, 12:35 pm
Novi, MI

Sounds like you have your hands full already. Yes to Jason's referral to Ernie...My favorite short story being his, "Portrait of the Pere Marquette".

Yes to John Voelker (Robert Traver)...another Michigan treasure he was.

Nick Lyons writes some fine tales as well.
Yes to Louis' suggestion...His collection, "Fisherman's Bounty", if you can find it, is a collection of others short stories that you will re-read.

I'm partial to Charlie Fox..."This Wonderful World of Trout", and his "Rising Trout".

I'm reluctant to reveal this one, but, Datus Proper's, "What the Trout Said: About the Design of Trout Flies and Other Mysteries"...We lost him way too early!

Finally. Charles Ritz, "A Fly Fisher's Life: The Art and Mechanics of Fly Fishing".

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
GutcutterNovember 6th, 2014, 6:58 pm
Pennsylvania

The Longest Silence Thomas McGuane
Fishless Days. Angling Nights Sparse Grey Hackle
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
PaulRobertsNovember 13th, 2014, 6:54 pm
Colorado

Since you're in NH: "Striper Moon" by Ken Abrames. Might just have you adding a 10wt, stripping basket, nocturnal habits, and chin stubble to your fishing odyssey.
CaseyPNovember 15th, 2014, 7:55 pm
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

late to the thread, but golly! no one has listed my favorite philosopher/angler: John Gierach. many books, most still in print, one, All Fishermen are Liars, new in stores last April.

his use of the English language has this former teacher in awe.

if you can get hold of Trout Bum, don't miss "The Fly Rod". open closet doors still make me nervous...;-)
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
WbranchNovember 16th, 2014, 10:42 am
York & Starlight PA

Don't know if it was mentioned but how about "Trout Madness" by Robert Traver and "Secret Places of Trout Fishermen" and "Fishing the Morning Lonely" by George Mendoza.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MarshallPNovember 16th, 2014, 3:43 pm
Rhode Island

I've been really enjoying Trout Madness. I keep it in my car to slow myself down. Those vignettes are all to easy to zip through and I want to make it last. I've ended up in Bozeman MT this week before I start work back in RI and am debating going on river trip but its averaged 20F all week and I didn't bring an warm fishing gear!!!

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.