Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > brown trout coloration research paper

IkeSeptember 14th, 2013, 12:05 pm
MN

Greetings fellow anglers!
My name is Isaac Ness and I'm starting a research paper on brown trout coloration. In doing so I hope to discover the causes of color variation in the beautiful brown but at the moment I've reached a bit of a wall. While many people have written about what they believed causes color variation, (camouflage, strain or fish, food, etc), there has been little scientific research done to solve the mystery once and for all. As a result I'm requesting help from anglers, and fly fishing experts from the U.S. and abroad . I need pictures of different brown trout showing the colors of the fish and a little information about the condition it was caught in. i.e. what the fish was caught on, a picture or description of the habitat, water temp, where its lie was, tint of water, coloration of the river bottom, what time of year it was caught during, etc. basically any information you can give me about the fish. Even just a picture of the fish would be helpful though. you can email me directly at ness.isaac@gmail.com Thank you for your time and I look forward to potentially working with you!
tight lines! -Isaac Ness
EntomanSeptember 14th, 2013, 2:46 pm
Northern CA & ID

Hi Isaac,

Welcome to the forum! Anybody with that name should be welcome on any angling site. :)

The different look between strains as well as individuals has been studied quite extensively. The balance of influences between nature (genetics), nurture (ecology), and variability are what's at work. It is my understanding that attempts at a deeper understanding of the interrelationship of these factors is at the heart of developing evolutionary theory. I think much can be gleaned for your project by mining the many papers on this topic. I'd start with Dr. Robert Behnke.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
WbranchSeptember 16th, 2013, 9:21 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hello Isaac,

Welcome to the forum, I have dozens of large brown trout pictures and many of them show remarkable color variations even though most were caught in the same river. I'll be sending some pictures to your email shortly.

Matt aka Wbranch
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
SayfuSeptember 19th, 2013, 1:43 pm
Posts: 560A good portion for your paper regarding Brown Trout could be the DNA difference, IF there is any between anadromous Brown Trout, and Atlantic Salmon. They both inhabit the same saltwater regions, run the same rivers, and when an Atlantic nears spawning in the river, I defy anyone to physically tell the difference. IMO it has become a marketing effort to attract customers to experience the thrill of catching an Atlantic Salmon, and can be an attraction as well to capture a sea-run Brown. Often an angler will identify his Atlantic Salmon prize catch to be too big to be a Brown Trout. I do not think that is an accurate assessment.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.