Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Keep an eye on that beaver!!!!!

FalsiflyApril 11th, 2013, 11:52 am
Hayward, WI.

Man killed by beaver while on fishing trip.

http://news.sky.com/story/1076746/beaver-bites-man-to-death-in-belarus-attack
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
PaulRobertsApril 11th, 2013, 12:02 pm
Colorado

I've been attacked by muskrats. At least you can step aside.
Kschaefer3April 11th, 2013, 12:06 pm
St. Paul, MN

This changes my perception of beavers. Good thing I always leave after they tail slap a pool. I saw one on the North Shore in Minnesota that had to go 50-60 lbs. It tail slapped then swam around the pool, and me, keeping just a little distance. I decided it was a good time to leave.
Jmd123April 11th, 2013, 7:34 pm
Oscoda, MI

Just remember folks, they cut down trees with those teeth - try doing that yourself! Nevertheless, I did get the chance to see one at fairly close range last summer, building a new dam in one of my favorite sections of the Pine. (Can't wait to check THAT out after the opener!) We respected each other and never got too close, but this animal seemed to regard me with no fear but no aggression either, no tail slapping and the beaver got into and out of the water about six feet away from me. I've been around plenty of them, never had a problem but when they start slapping their tails I can't imagine the trout are eager to bite...and many, many years ago during my formative years one slapped right behind me AT NIGHT and scared the wits out of me!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Kschaefer3April 12th, 2013, 8:49 am
St. Paul, MN

one slapped right behind me AT NIGHT and scared the wits out of me!

Last summer I was mouse fishing in an area I didn't know very well. I was fishing a big sand flat adjacent to a very deep pool. I had something explode on my fly that I am pretty sure was a trout. Not long after I could just make out some movement on the sand flat. It was swimming towards me slowly. When I could tell it was only 15' away I turned on my headlamp. I had a beaver staring right at me. About a second after the light went on he gave me a mean look, slapped his tail and dove under water. I am not sure if my heart was beating faster after that or the crash on my mouse. I don't think there was a feeding trout within 100 yards of the pool after that though, so I quickly left and called it a night.
FalsiflyApril 12th, 2013, 2:00 pm
Hayward, WI.

I wasn't going to post this but the guy did say it was like fishing. It's a bit long but the first 5 min. will suffice. Once you get past the first 30 seconds keep watching because when he says "it's like fishing" the fun begins
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.