Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Trico Spinner, as requested, Page 2

Gutcutter has attached these 13 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (4.5X larger)
What I often dream about.
What I often dream about.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.5X larger)
A "generic" synthetic spinner.  2488 hook size 20.
My current favorite synthetic wing material - EP Fibers
A "generic" synthetic spinner. 2488 hook size 20.
My current favorite synthetic wing material - EP Fibers
Fish eye view
Fish eye view
A fly for really flat water.  The "McFly Foam" wing is almost transluscent when wet.  Difficult to see on broken water.  It does't float well after a dunking unless it is dried on a bandana, paper towel, your shirt, spare toilet paper or whatever you have handy.  But it is worth the effort on those really picky ones...
2488 hook size 22.
A fly for really flat water. The "McFly Foam" wing is almost transluscent when wet. Difficult to see on broken water. It does't float well after a dunking unless it is dried on a bandana, paper towel, your shirt, spare toilet paper or whatever you have handy. But it is worth the effort on those really picky ones...
2488 hook size 22.
CDC wing floats like a cork.  2488 hook, size 20.  A great fly in a riffle, or the head of a pool.  Shawn will love the fact that there is no synthetic material in this fly.
CDC wing floats like a cork. 2488 hook, size 20. A great fly in a riffle, or the head of a pool. Shawn will love the fact that there is no synthetic material in this fly.
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.7X larger)
Sunken spinner.  The abdomen is UTC wire, and the wings are Krystal Flash.  2488 size 24.
Shawn will hate the fact that there are no natural materials in this fly.
Sunken spinner. The abdomen is UTC wire, and the wings are Krystal Flash. 2488 size 24.
Shawn will hate the fact that there are no natural materials in this fly.
Reverse Hacklestacker.  Since I taught Lastchance how to tie this, I no longer have an advantage!
2488 size 22.  Whiting size 20 grizzly hackle.
My best all around trico pattern.  Works during the entire hatch.  Often I'll have a male on the 3 weight (size 22 2488) and a female size 20 2488 on the bamboo 4 weight
Reverse Hacklestacker. Since I taught Lastchance how to tie this, I no longer have an advantage!
2488 size 22. Whiting size 20 grizzly hackle.
My best all around trico pattern. Works during the entire hatch. Often I'll have a male on the 3 weight (size 22 2488) and a female size 20 2488 on the bamboo 4 weight
Fish eye view of the 'stacker
Fish eye view of the 'stacker
I can't take credit for this one.  Louis tied this, and I stole it from his box.  An upside down "compara-hackle" trico dun/spinner.  I believe this is tied on the Varivas 2300 hook.  I hope that he comments on the materials used.  I stole two of them, and the other is in the jaw of a fat 16" brown. Very delicate and a great fly on really pressured fish.
I can't take credit for this one. Louis tied this, and I stole it from his box. An upside down "compara-hackle" trico dun/spinner. I believe this is tied on the Varivas 2300 hook. I hope that he comments on the materials used. I stole two of them, and the other is in the jaw of a fat 16" brown. Very delicate and a great fly on really pressured fish.
Traffic-Jam Cluster fly.  Tied on a # 16 standard dry fly hook.  White mini "Ultra Chenille" and size 14 Whiting grizzly hackle.
Traffic-Jam Cluster fly. Tied on a # 16 standard dry fly hook. White mini "Ultra Chenille" and size 14 Whiting grizzly hackle.
Can you tell that I'm getting ready for Montana in a month?
Can you tell that I'm getting ready for Montana in a month?
Our favorite secret trico water.  Lastchance has caught and released that thousand pounder in the foreground on the left twice!  He even tagged her ear after the first release.
In this photo, he is stalking the bank feeder on the right.
Our favorite secret trico water. Lastchance has caught and released that thousand pounder in the foreground on the left twice! He even tagged her ear after the first release.
In this photo, he is stalking the bank feeder on the right.
Is there anything better than tricos, 7x, bamboo and wild browns?  Add Bruce, Goose, Lastchance, Feathers5 into the mix, and it's always a great time!
Is there anything better than tricos, 7x, bamboo and wild browns? Add Bruce, Goose, Lastchance, Feathers5 into the mix, and it's always a great time!
Feathers5March 8th, 2013, 8:07 am
Posts: 287Reverse style tying will neutralize water turbidity and laminar flow rate. The equation is:

water current = mass flow
laminar turbidity = density of mass

therefore:

meniscus (surface tension) divided by benthic thrust = degree of fly angle
or;
reverse style fly.

This method allows the reverse style fly to maintain strike zone posture for longer periods.

Bruce, Lastchance, Goose, etc. etc.
WbranchMarch 8th, 2013, 10:31 am
York & Starlight PA

"Reverse style tying will neutralize water turbidity and laminar flow rate. The equation is:

water current = mass flow
laminar turbidity = density of mass

therefore:

meniscus (surface tension) divided by benthic thrust = degree of fly angle
or;
reverse style fly.

This method allows the reverse style fly to maintain strike zone posture for longer periods."

Now that's want I wanted to hear! Solid scientific evidence about why I should start tying reverse style Tricos. I think I'll put all my traditionally tied dry flies up for sale and re-tie all my flies in reverse. Thank you for this illuminating post!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
SayfuMarch 8th, 2013, 10:58 am
Holy laminar turbidity batman! We are out here in the wild competing with these kinda thinkers?! Let's take up basket weaving.
EntomanMarch 8th, 2013, 3:28 pm
Northern CA & ID

Competent basket weaving requires a substantial understanding of and eye for complex geometric principles.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
CrepuscularMarch 8th, 2013, 3:33 pm
Boiling Springs, PA

Competent basket weaving requires a substantial understanding of and eye for complex geometric principles.:)

And "benthic thrust"
EntomanMarch 8th, 2013, 3:43 pm
Northern CA & ID

Yes, A lot of the content in this thread could be described as the result of "benthic thrust." LOL
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
WbranchMarch 8th, 2013, 3:59 pm
York & Starlight PA

"And "benthic thrust"

Is that at all akin to pelvic thrust?
EntomanMarch 8th, 2013, 4:08 pm
Northern CA & ID

Well, benthic does mean "bottom" so I had in mind the buttocks' role in the biological digestive process. Otherwise known as BBDP or by its abbreviated acronym BS.
WbranchMarch 8th, 2013, 5:07 pm
York & Starlight PA

Well all I know is that tomorrow around 9:30 a.m. I'll be stepping into a cold runnng trout stream and flipping out a few feathered morsels to tempt the trout. We have all been landlocked way too long and it's about time to get into those waders again.
EntomanMarch 8th, 2013, 7:10 pm
Northern CA & ID

Great plan, Matt. Let us know how you do.
Feathers5March 11th, 2013, 9:24 am
Posts: 287Although I found very few risers on Saturday my practice of "Benthic Thrust" played a key role on one I snagged on a dry fly. Keeping in mind that benthic thrust will neutralize the laminar flow flate, I made a thrust at the 2 PM position, thus fooling a nice brown on my first attempt. A key member of this site witnessed the biological fishing gem.
Bruce
CrepuscularMarch 11th, 2013, 9:50 am
Boiling Springs, PA

I may not be that key member, but I was a witness and I must admit that it was the perfect execution of Benthic Thrust! It would give it a perfect 10 out of 10. That fish never had a chance...but I think that it may have had low self esteem.
OldredbarnMarch 11th, 2013, 10:17 am
Novi, MI

Well all I know is that tomorrow around 9:30 a.m. I'll be stepping into a cold runnng trout stream and flipping out a few feathered morsels to tempt the trout. We have all been landlocked way too long and it's about time to get into those waders again.

Amen Matt!!! Lets get this party started...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfAugust 12th, 2013, 8:51 pm
Palmyra PA

Some trico patterns here. Start on page 1.

Some good great silly fun on the last page.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
MartinlfJuly 31st, 2020, 10:17 am
Palmyra PA

OK, Mike here is the thread with the photos. My upside down spinner, posted by Tony, is also based on Al's Trico, and I pull it out for really picky fish. Sometimes I tie it reverse style and leave off the tails One of these got me a very picky fish in a stretch that is pounded almost daily a few weeks back.

--Fred Chappell
PartsmanAugust 5th, 2020, 2:50 pm
bancroft michigan

Wonderful! Love the banter also. I have tied up a few of Al's trico and Im heading up in the very pre-dawn, I think I like this fishing more than the rest, and yes I would love to have bamboo rod for this, maybe next year? We shall see. Thanks again, I had some good chuckles with this!
Mike.
MartinlfSeptember 11th, 2021, 7:13 pm
Palmyra PA

One of the Trico threads.

--Fred Chappell
WiflyfisherSeptember 12th, 2021, 12:42 pm
Wisconsin

Louis, thank you for reposting this Trico thread.

Here is an additional photo to support some of the Trico insights you and others made in this thread.

BTW, every shop I stopped at while out West had only black-bodied Tricos in their fly bins.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.