Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Eastern Trout

Martinlf has attached this picture to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
Fish of the trip
Fish of the trip

Report at a Glance

General RegionNew York and Pennsylvania
Specific LocationCatskills
Time of DayAfternoon
Fish CaughtBrowns and Rainbows
Conditions & HatchesShowers and some wind. sulphurs, tan caddis, march browns, apple caddis, hendricksons.

Details and Discussion

MartinlfMay 12th, 2012, 11:09 am
Palmyra PA

Here's a photo of a brown caught on this trip. The weather was fickle, but when conditions allowed, fish were up and eating. This fish took a sulphur.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
OrnMay 12th, 2012, 12:14 pm

That's a wonderful brownie! Good job!
Jmd123May 12th, 2012, 1:49 pm
Oscoda, MI

That's a big one Louis! Especially on a little dry fly. I know there's fish like that around here, but it might be the middle of the night in summer with big streamers...I did hook and lose one like that years ago, took off on me and wrapped me under a log, that took a Hendrickson dry about this time of year too.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRobertsMay 12th, 2012, 2:39 pm
Colorado

Gorgeous fish. Cool shot.
WiflyfisherMay 12th, 2012, 4:23 pm
Wisconsin

Awesome fish!! Now that looks like one of those Big D fish I remember seeing but rarely seeing anyone land at the Junction.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
WbranchMay 12th, 2012, 8:15 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hey Louis when I grow up I want to catch a fish like that! Nice going!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfMay 12th, 2012, 8:56 pm
Palmyra PA

Hey Matt, thanks, but that's just one to your hundreds of fish like that. When I grow up, I want to spend more time on that river. You know the one.

--Fred Chappell
WbranchMay 12th, 2012, 9:23 pm
York & Starlight PA

Louis,

Yes, I know the one. I had a great day on Wednesday with our friend. He landed two good fish, one 17" and the other 18" and he had a bunch of other opportunities.

I've been fortunate to have fished that water for over four decades and have had ample time to learn pretty much where the best lies are, and big fish, like to hang out. Couple that with having good patterns and being able to fish during the week enables me a huge advantage over guys like yourself who are often limited to fishing long weekends.

Hopefully I'll still be around when you retire and we can go out together and get those big browns!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123May 12th, 2012, 10:11 pm
Oscoda, MI

"I've been fortunate to have fished that water for over four decades and have had ample time to learn pretty much where the best lies are, and big fish, like to hang out."

I'm sure that helps! I never seem to be able to live ANYWHERE long enough to learn that. Although, now I am not too far away (one hour drive) from the Rifle River which I fished for four seasons ('98-'01) and am getting to know all over again. With some luck, I'll be able to figure out where the big bruisers live and what it takes to catch them like Matt. And I've got a ways to go before I retire!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
OldredbarnMay 13th, 2012, 1:31 am
Novi, MI

Louis,

So that's what you look like brother! It's good to finally put a face with a name from this site...It took such a nice trout to get you to take a bow! Lovely fish there mister...:) The bigger the fish on the smaller the fly the broader the smile...

I'm heading north at the end of next week for ten days...I've been wrapping flies to cover E invaria and E dorothea...among others of the familiar suspects from this time of year...I have been playing with the "new" stuff all winter, but have been filling the holes in the boxes of the tried and trues over the last couple weeks...When you finish a fly that you have caught so many fish on in the past a man can get excited in a way only another angler would understand. :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TroutnutMay 13th, 2012, 1:44 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Beautiful fish! Quite the use of perspective, too -- makes a really nice fish (I'm guessing 23"?) look like a world record until I realize it also makes your hand look bigger than your head. :)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
EntomanMay 13th, 2012, 1:50 am
Northern CA & ID

Here's a photo of a brown caught on this trip.

Like the Batman or Phantom of the Opera, we know who did the deed (by indirect confession), but we can't be sure of who's actually in the photo! Hell of a fish you caught there Louis, but who's actually holding it for the photo? A boat mate perhaps? Ah, the subtlety of the English language. Me thinks there's a possibility that the actual physical appearance of Martinlf is still safely ensconced in the imaginations of all Troutnuts... :)

Beautiful fish! Quite the use of perspective, too -- makes a really nice fish (I'm guessing 23"?) look like a world record until I realize it also makes your hand look bigger than your head. :)

A pox upon you, Jason! We never mention such things unless it's a response to the bold post of a newbie in need of a proper sense of the pecking order! :) LOL
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
OldredbarnMay 13th, 2012, 2:28 am
Novi, MI

Jason & Kurt...I should show you sometime the photo of that fish in my profile picture I took of my guide friend holding it...Can you spell Moby Dick...:) He wanted to give it a "guides-measure" but I put an end to it at an honest 20.5"...Give or take ;).

We are just teasing you Louis...Kurt Photo-Shopped in his steelie in his profile pic...:) Don't tell anyone...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
EntomanMay 13th, 2012, 2:53 am
Northern CA & ID

You are double poxed, Spence... :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
WiflyfisherMay 13th, 2012, 7:27 am
Wisconsin

Now that you mentioned it Spence, the fish in your profile picture does look kind of puny compared to Kurts, Orn, Wbranch. That is why I use a large variant in mine.
John S.
https://WiFlyFisher.com
LastchanceMay 13th, 2012, 9:51 am
Portage, PA

Great fish, Louis.
FisherOfMenMay 13th, 2012, 10:00 am
NY

Me too, Matt. Me too. :)
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
MartinlfMay 13th, 2012, 10:19 am
Palmyra PA

Yes, the perspective in the photo has been manipulated a bit, but it wasn't my doing. My photographer gave me very explicit directions which I innocently followed, being, as some have noted, a bit camera shy. As for the actual size of the fish . . . I'll have to leave that up to your imaginations. :)

--Fred Chappell
OldredbarnMay 13th, 2012, 12:25 pm
Novi, MI

As for the actual size of the fish . . . I'll have to leave that up to your imaginations. :)

And Louis that is as it should be...:)

Back it 1995 I shared a float with a professor from Sacramento on the Madison and I caught a 23.5" Brown...He being a history professor measured the fish and proclaimed, "This fish will from here-on-in be known to be 23.5" and so it will be written from here in perpetuity..." After that it was impossible to smudge that extra half inch so I could call it a two-footer...Damn him! :)

Spence

Jmd123May 13th, 2012, 1:52 pm
Oscoda, MI

Spence, that's the fly-fishing version of "keepin' it real"...

I have been seeing a lot of little brown caddis, #14-16, on my local streams lately, so you might want to make sure you have a few in your box for your upcoming trip. And yes, fish have been hitting imitations quite well. And the old secret weapon #10 Royal Wulff has come in handy a few times as well...

Jonathon
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.