Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > First season with the Fly rod!

Youngfish has attached these 19 pictures to this report. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.5X larger)
Shown Full Size
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.5X larger)
Shown Full Size
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.2X larger)
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
Shown Full Size
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.8X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (2.8X larger)
View Full SizeView Full Size (2X larger)
Shown Full Size

Report at a Glance

General RegionMichigan
Specific LocationManistique River, and Manistee River

Details and Discussion

YoungfishApril 25th, 2012, 2:37 pm
Manistique, MI

Hello everyone,

My name is Kyle McClelland and live in Manistique Michigan. Just came across this site and thought it was really cool! This season was my first season of chasing steelhead, and Brown trout with the fly rod. I started out in December, and on my first expedition I managed 11 steelhead, and two brown trout. After that I was hooked! Made the trip down to the Big Manistee river this spring for spring break and caught a bunch of Steelhead, and a few small browns there. I just started tying my own flies end of December, and now I will never buy another one. Overall Hex nymphs, rock worm nymphs, stone fly nymphs, spey buggers, and egg sucking leaches have been best Here are a few of my favorite pics this season.
Kyle McClelland
Manistique, MI
XXL Chrome Chasing- www.facebook.com/XxlChromeChasing
OrnApril 25th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Great job man! Fantastic looking fish, keep up the good work!
YoungfishApril 25th, 2012, 5:38 pm
Manistique, MI

Thanks! It has been a great season for sure! Once I started swinging streamers it will be hard to go back to nymphing!:) Going on my first brooke trout fishing adventure this weekend as the season opens this weekend.
Kyle McClelland
Manistique, MI
JesseApril 25th, 2012, 5:49 pm
I have to give credit where it is due my brother; great freaking work haha!!! Those fish are all beautiful and caught on the right equipment ;) It is good to hear that you will be tying your own now because we can all agree that catching these fish on self tied flies is an incomparable feeling to the store bought ones. Keep us updated on your adventures and we will do the same. Nice work. And was it the Manistee River that you fished where the dam (or whatever contraption that is) is in the background for some of the pictures?
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
YoungfishApril 25th, 2012, 8:39 pm
Manistique, MI

Thanks!! Yeah, I agree completely about catching them on your own flies! The first Steelie I caught on my tied flies was a 8lb male on a rock worm nymph in January. I will be sure to keep you guys posted, and look forward to keep reading reports! This is a great site for sure! When I fished the Manistee I didn't fish Tippy at all because there wasn't hardly any room to fly fish. I fish from the boat launch at Tippy down stream, past the saw dust hole. Best spot was probably sucide bend. Fished 4 days down there and hooked around 100 or so. It was a lot of fun!
Kyle McClelland
Manistique, MI
OldredbarnApril 26th, 2012, 12:47 am
Novi, MI

Jonathon...You out there buddy? Its time to put down that 3wt me thinks! These young Michiganders are making us look bad. First Jim's daughter Varilya and now Kyle...We're not careful them DNR boys may pull our fishing licenses..;)

All kidding aside. Nice job young fella. You too Varilya...Its nice to see you two outside with rose colored cheeks and not cross-eyed from starring at them computer gadgets. :)

Good luck to both of you with the upcoming season...My car is packed and pointed towards Grayling and I'll be joining both of you astream this weekend...:) Tightlines!

Spence

As Jonathon and I have said here before, "That's Pure Michigan!"

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.