Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > BodyColor?

The Specimen

Capniidae (Snowflies) Stonefly AdultCapniidae (Snowflies) Stonefly Adult View 6 Pictures
Collected March 29, 2005 from Salmon Creek in New York
Added to Troutnut.com by on April 7, 2006

The Discussion

DarkDunJanuary 9th, 2007, 8:25 pm
Posts: 16What is body color? Are these likely to occurr in the Appallacians?
TroutnutJanuary 9th, 2007, 8:34 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Very very dark brown and black. And yes, it's likely you'll find these in Appalachia.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
MartinlfJanuary 10th, 2007, 4:49 am
Palmyra PA

Jason, was dark dun possibly asking a geographical rather than taxonomic question? (The word "these" led me to wonder this.) If so, would the answer be no?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TaxonJanuary 10th, 2007, 10:33 am
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Louis-

I'm normally able to understand your meaning, but you've really left me in the wake this time. I only saw a question about color of body, and a question about distribution. What taxonomic question did Dark Dun ask?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TroutnutJanuary 10th, 2007, 11:43 am
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

I'm confused too.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
MartinlfJanuary 10th, 2007, 2:10 pm
Palmyra PA

OK, I see that dashing in and out of the site too early the other morning with little time to spare before making my daughter late for school, I hurriedly misread Jason's original reply. Let me explain how, as best I can, though you'll probably suspect crystal meth before I finish.

Somehow I was thinking that Jason's reply to DarkDunn's second question, "Are these [bugs] likely to occur in the Appalachian [region]s?" meant: "you'll find these [typical colors] in Appalachia [a mythical stonefly genus I thought I remembered from the original photo--funny, huh?]."

(Might the range of color within a genus almost be a kind of taxonomic issue, Roger?--OK, I guess not. But this is how my obviously-not-fully-awake mind was working.)

Now I clearly see that Jason was answering the distribution question when he said, "yes, it's likely you'll find these [bugs] in Appalachia [the region]."

So, Jason, Roger, I not only confused myself, but you too in the process, and I'm feeling rather silly. This calls for a bit of Latin:

Mea culpa.

--Fred Chappell
TaxonJanuary 10th, 2007, 2:39 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Louis-

Planto voluntas.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
TroutnutJanuary 10th, 2007, 4:10 pm
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Funny, I had actually thought of that -- confusing Appalachia for a genus -- and discounted it as too improbable. Then again, it is more likely than the hallucinogenic alternatives!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
MartinlfJanuary 10th, 2007, 4:20 pm
Palmyra PA

Roger,

Gratia tibi; nemo nisi per amicitiam cognoscitur.

Jason,

Once you get to know me, you'll find almost anything is possible. ;>

--Fred Chappell
SofthackleJanuary 10th, 2007, 5:28 pm
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Geesh,
You guys must be reading my mind. I was thinking about these stoneflies today and wondering how early they'll be showing up this year. Last year was the first year I actually took trout on these on my home river. I guess it was because the river was low for the early part of the year, and the trout were actually seeing them. Usually, it's high, fast and muddy when these flies are about. I actually took fish on a soft-hackle I made up fished in the surface film or just below.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
TaxonJanuary 10th, 2007, 5:45 pm
Site Editor
Royse City, TX

Louis-

Ego trado.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
MartinlfJanuary 10th, 2007, 6:08 pm
Palmyra PA

Roger,

Great reply, given the multiple definitions of the verb. It's back to English for me too--with my Collin's Gem and Bradly's Arnold on the shelf in the office, Latin's too much work.

Softhackle,

I took a look at your flies on the website you mentioned, and your bio. It's neat to get to know someone from the forum a bit more. Would you share your Capniidae stonefly soft hackle pattern with us?

--Fred Chappell
SofthackleJanuary 11th, 2007, 7:06 am
Site Editor
Wellsville, NY

Louis,
Copy and paste this link into your browser address window:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/Soft-hackle/Bl.jpg

The fly has not yet been posted to my site, but will be added, soon. So you get first "look" at it.

The fly is fairly simple, yet it worked very well for these flies. What was nice about it was the fact it could be fished wet, downstream, or upstream in surface, or just below. I even fished it slightly down and across in the surface to feeding fish.

To me there is nothing like a flymph or softhackle to get fish moving. The movement of the hackle is the key.

Here is the recipe:

Black Stone Flymph--

Hook: For wet version-Standard wet fly longer shank hook. For fishing in the film or just under use a fine wire, long shank dry fly hook as shown-size 12-14-16.

Thread: Black

Hackle: I used two crow hackles, one wound through the thorax, the other was wrapped at the head as a collar( Use only one turn as a collar.). Strip one side of the fibers off each hackle or there'll be too much hackle. (I'm sure black hen hackle could be substituted for crow.)

Ribbing: a fine piece of black Krystal Flash through the abdomen.

Abdomen: Black rabbit, spun Leisenring style on black thread.

Throrax: Dubbed heavier than the abdomen to the tying thread.

Hope this helps and encourages others to try it.

Mark

"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.