Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Furled Leaders, Page 2

RedQuill27November 22nd, 2009, 6:13 am
Wisconsin

I have used furled leaders for the past 2 seasons and love them. I built my jig and furl my own. I use mono. The brand is usually Berkley XL 2 lb. Clear, or Maxima 2 lb. Olive.

I love them. They give some stretch that protects light tippet and they turn over like a charm. For laughs when I first started to use them I tied on a size 2 bass bug on my little 8 ft. 3 weight and it turned it over. I am not a tournament caster, actually I am not that hot of a caster.

Another advantage is that they last longer. They are more abrasion resistant and they do float all day with one coating of Gink. I went out the other day, for steelies and used a mono leader and it cast just fine. I furl speciality leaders for Bass, Muskies and Stillwater. I love 'em and I do give enough away in a year that I should probably sell them.

Well Tight Lines, and if you have any questions please give me a message.

Fishing is like sex, when its good its great, and when its bad its still pretty good.
DdaugherNovember 23rd, 2009, 11:30 am
DJ Daugherty

Furled Tapered Leader ($1.00 Special) - stinkdogleaders.com is proud to announce... it's sister company, DarbyCreekOutfitters.com has a new website/shopping cart up and running.

stinkdogleaders and Darby Creek Outfitters are pleased to announce the new DCO website and shopping cart... as a special, we are offering a Furled Tapered Leader ($1.00 Special)
Special Offer !!! A handmade furled tapered leader! Choose from super light for 0-3 wt. fly line, light for 3-5 wt. fly line, medium for 6-8 wt. fly line or heavy for 8+ wt. approx. approx. 7ft long and contains a 5 step taper… the butt and tippet ends are finished with a shorb loops for easy loop-to-loop connections. Your choice of tippet can be attached to the leader via a loop-to-loop connection.

please check out DarbyCreekOutfitters.com
SayfuAugust 29th, 2011, 1:59 pm
Wow! I am not a speed reader so haven't come close to reading all of these posts, but my understanding as of today, is that furled leaders can be made from mono, or from a fabric thread. I disliked my fabric furled made for me by an individual in that it was flimsy, and didn't turn over very well. I will try my new mono furled leader tomorrow, and anticipate it will turn over much better. The guy who made it, knotted a 20" piece of 2x at the end to add tippet to. My fabric furled had a tippet ring to the end of it to tie tippets to. I just ordered a pack of tippet rings from Feather-craft. Where am I wrong in my description? Oh, and one problem with the fabric furled is that if a fly gets stuck in it the leader is toast. It doesn't appear to me that a fly could very easily stick in the mono furled leader I will try tomorrow.
SayfuSeptember 2nd, 2011, 1:58 pm
I got to try my new furled, mono leader that a bamboo rod maker makes, and it worked exceptionally well. It was 6' long with a 20" piece of 2X knotted to the end, and then I tied a 30" tippet of 3x to it, and threw a size #8 hopper. It turned over exceptionally well. Now I will try to locate that guy and buy a few more of those leaders, and test some new tippet rings I have on order. It had a very small loop at the butt, and I put on a new Orvis line that had a very small welded loop on the end...joined very nicely.
RogueratSeptember 4th, 2011, 12:51 pm
being a compulsive 'tinkerer' I tried the hand-furled method for leaders back when a magazine ran an article on this. I think I'll try the jig-and- dowel method over this winter, it looks like it renders a better taper and is more amenable to customizing and such.
there are literally dozens (hundreds?) of sites online that have furling instructions- some pretty clear, others beyond vague- and some pretty good videos too.

other than that, has anybody tried Tenkara fishing? it looks like a lot of fun, and a good reason to acquire another rod or 3.

I Peter 5:7..."Cast your cares upon Him'
GONZOSeptember 4th, 2011, 2:47 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

other than that, has anybody tried Tenkara fishing? it looks like a lot of fun, and a good reason to acquire another rod or 3.

Roguerat,

My own experiences with tenkara are limited, but they are due to increase exponentially in the near term. My initial reaction to tenkara was that it was interesting and novel, but probably not my cup of tea.

What changed my mind was a project proposal at my job that involves teaching large numbers of 8-14-year-old kids to fish. The prospects of going the usual route of dealing with the tangles and clunkiness of spincasting gear and red-and-white plastic bobbers vs the possibility of introducing them to fly fishing kept running around in my head. I hated the first prospect, but I knew that the learning curve for the second was impractical for the type of program that we had in mind. There's much to recommend old-fashioned cane-pole fishing, I thought. Then I realized that tenkara fly fishing presented what seemed to be an ideal solution. In time (next summer), we expect to be introducing up to 100 kids per week to catch-and-release tenkara fly fishing.

In the interim, I have had the opportunity to consider the advantages and disadvantages of tenkara in my own fishing. Though it cannot easily do some of things that "conventional" fly fishing does, the reverse is also true. All of my initial experiences have been very encouraging--it is extremely simple and elegant, but the nuances and possiblities are fascinating. Right now, my head is full of ways that tenkara can open up new options and tactics in my fly fishing. As soon as I actually have some time to fish again, I'll be exploring many of those options.
RogueratSeptember 4th, 2011, 7:22 pm
Gonzo-
Pretty much my impression, also. It looks like a 'niche' style of fishing, nonetheless interesting and probably fun!
My daughter student-taught classes of kids with Aspberger's Syndrome, the higher-functioning autism...she got to go on end-of-year camping trips to the Upper Manistee, did some fly-fishing with the kids and actually caught her first Brook Trout before I could make that claim. Tenkara looks like it would simplify (that translates to more fun for kids AND adults) everything as regards fishing on this kind of outing, so I think your program would be very successful!
be sure to update the rest of us on how things go!

I Peter 5:7...'Cast your cares upon Him'
SayfuSeptember 5th, 2011, 8:47 am
Posts: 560Tenkera fishing. Hope I get more feedback on this one. I question whether it is trying to take the difficulty out of learning to fly cast, or something that can build interest in fly fishing, or has merits on its own. I get bad vibes about telescoping rods, like the pocket fisherman concept. Never saw a telescoping rod worth a darn, but could definitely be wrong. Does it come from the old English method of "dapping"?...I think was the term? And do with get yarded up into the weeds on a set, and you have to go looking for them? :)
RogueratSeptember 5th, 2011, 9:36 am
Sayfu-
I think this is definitely a 'niche'style of fishing, what with somewhat limited reach etc; from the video's I've seen online it is both dapping and 'slinging' as far as the line allows, not unlike the ol' cane-pole tecnique of my fading childhood- gone high-tech.
still, it looks intriguing!

I Peter 5:7...'Cast your cares upon Him'
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.