Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Colorado Trip

Motrout has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (2X larger)
Trappers Lake in the Flat Tops Wilderness, just about 1 mile from camp
Trappers Lake in the Flat Tops Wilderness, just about 1 mile from camp
A  very pretty small stream just a few hundred yards from camp. Full of little brookies and cutthroat
A very pretty small stream just a few hundred yards from camp. Full of little brookies and cutthroat
A view from near the summit of the mountain we climbed. Wild country
A view from near the summit of the mountain we climbed. Wild country
The same stream as the little one pictured above...About 4 miles downstream after several mountain tributaries came in. This part of the stream had less holding water, but some very nice trout for this altitude in the few  good pools. This is just about 50 yards above where the river flows out of the wilderness area, and is the last public, fishable water for many miles.
The same stream as the little one pictured above...About 4 miles downstream after several mountain tributaries came in. This part of the stream had less holding water, but some very nice trout for this altitude in the few good pools. This is just about 50 yards above where the river flows out of the wilderness area, and is the last public, fishable water for many miles.
A brook trout from the section of stream in the picture directly above this one. Taken on a #18 Caddis Pupae fished below a #12 Parachute Adams.
A brook trout from the section of stream in the picture directly above this one. Taken on a #18 Caddis Pupae fished below a #12 Parachute Adams.
MotroutSeptember 13th, 2011, 2:48 pm
Sorry I am so late in posting any pictures or a report, but I've been really busy. Maybe some of you remember that I was headed out to the Flat Tops in Colorado the second week of August. Well, fish were caught, mountains were climbed, and a great time was had. The fish were mostly small (we were doing all of our fishing between 8800 and 10,000 feet, so you pretty much expect that) but pretty. Both brookies and cutthroat, plus a couple of cuttbows on a relatively "lower" section on one stream. Here are some pictures.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
OldredbarnSeptember 13th, 2011, 4:25 pm
Novi, MI

What a lovely spot!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JesseSeptember 14th, 2011, 2:59 am
Beautiful pictures brotheran!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Kaleem287September 14th, 2011, 3:12 am

http://7mliveonline.com/
Kaleem287September 14th, 2011, 3:12 am
Posts: 3hi guys visit this link . . . http://7mliveonline.com/
MotroutSeptember 14th, 2011, 8:45 am
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. It's a trip I won't forget for quite awhile.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
Jmd123September 14th, 2011, 1:54 pm
Oscoda, MI

WOW, beautiful!! Looks like a wonderful trip there, MO. I see that your brookie photo truned out like too many of my wildflower shots - the background is in focus instead of the subject, though we can still see what a beautiful fish it is. I've been catching brookies like that all summer long around here, and no matter how small they are, they're like little precious gemstones. And I just love that shot you took near the summit. Isn't the West grand? Gotta get back out there myself one of these days, maybe back to Oregon to see some of my old stomping grounds...this time of the year always reminds me of when I first moved out to Coos Bay in August of '92.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MotroutSeptember 14th, 2011, 2:31 pm
Yeah, I have to admit that my photography skills are very much lacking. Probably it didn't help either that all of these pics were taken on a cell phone camera.

Jmd123September 14th, 2011, 3:02 pm
Oscoda, MI

MO, it's not your photographic skills that are lacking - those are fine photos! It's the autofocuser on your cell phone camera. As I mentioned, I have the same problem on my point-n-shoot Nikon Coolpix - it wants to focus on the background and not the subject in the foreground. I have learned to push the shoot button halfway down and check the focus on the LCD screen before going all the way to make the shot, and sometimes I have to push it a dozen times before the subject comes into proper focus. Ahhh, yes, those modern conveniences just create their own new problems - you don't have to worry about getting the focus just right manually anymore but then it might not focus on what you want it to...Kinda like computers which make our lives so much easier until they decide to take a sh*t and stop working, then you can't get anything done!!

Again, nice shots, beautiful place, and looks like a wonderful adventure. I bet the flora and fauna on the way were pretty spectacular, too.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
MotroutSeptember 14th, 2011, 6:33 pm
I appreciate the compliments. Yes, the flora and the fauna was quite spectacular. As you can make out in the pictures, this particular area of the Flat-Tops was heavily burned by the Big Fish Fire in 2002. Which means that what used to be thick woods are now meadows, with a greater variety of wildflowers than I believe I've ever seen anywhere before. There is a good population of both elk and moose in the area and we saw lots of sign, but unfortunately we saw neither. We did have a beautiful 5x5 mule deer that visited our camp every night about a half hour after sunset, which was very cool.

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.