Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Smallest stream you've ever caught trout on, Page 2

Shawnny3December 14th, 2010, 3:19 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Very nice description, Flytier37 - each thing you described (with the exception of the huge fish) reminds me of a place on some small stream I've fished, making me feel like I almost know this place. Welcome to the forum. I haven't had time to read the other posts on this thread yet, but I'm sure there's a lot of good stuff.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Flatstick96December 15th, 2010, 9:15 am
Having seen, firsthand, the joy that Shawnny derives from fishing the smallest, most brush-choked mountain brookie streams he can find, I was stunned that it took so long for him to visit this thread.

I've heard through the grapevine, though, that's he's been consumed with a top secret artistic project on which he's been sworn to secrecy.

It looks like the rest of us may get to see what he's working on soon, though; I found this little teaser online (scroll down to the "looking ahead" section):

http://www.facebook.com/theanthropologist
PaulRobertsDecember 15th, 2010, 9:57 am
Colorado

Shawn, have you found yourself a nice little ballerina -a tiny dancer in your head? I sure hope it's that gold wire in the shot next to her. Women and fishing don't really mix, despite what they say at first.;) But women and gold wire...
Shawnny3December 15th, 2010, 2:45 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

I suppose it's for the best that women cannot read minds, though that does not seem to deter them from trying - my wife would probably not react well to the ballerinas in my head.

That fly is definitely for the ladies, though. That pic was made intentionally vague as a teaser. It was a really hard fly and turned out really well - I'm excited for people to see it. The full spread will come out in January.

As for fishing, I've been known to frequent the occasional small stream, the sorts of places that seem custom-made to frustrate Flatstick. I'm afraid his patience for bushes in his back-cast is limited. But he didn't seem to mind yanking fish after fish out of that little plunge pool I discovered that can only be fished on hands and knees. What a difference a few willing brookies make to the experience.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
BippieDecember 19th, 2010, 6:33 pm
Altoona, PA

Elk Lick, Potter County Pennsylvania. It's a little mountain Brookie stream, you don't need boots to fish it's entire length. There are only a few pools that you can't reach all the way across with a 9 foot rod (not that you'd use a 9 foot rod on this little stream... never caught anything bigger than 8 to 9 inches... but it is a beautiful creek to fish!
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.