or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Not a Trout, Salmon, or Grayling

Report at a Glance

General RegionSE Pennslyvania
Specific LocationSusquehanna River
Time of DayNoon - 5:00
Fish CaughtBronzebacks
Conditions & HatchesGood clarity and flow of about 25K cfs. Lots of bait in the water and hungry smallmouth!

Details and Discussion

WbranchOctober 24th, 2010, 6:43 pm
York & Starlight PA

One of many large smallmouth caught over a three day period last week.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OldredbarnOctober 25th, 2010, 7:08 am
Novi, MI

Matt,

That's not a hog its a HAWG! Whoa! What a healthy looking fish...

Thanks for letting us take a look!

Spence

Matt, the fish in your neighborhood must quake when they realize you are out fishing! This one must of not got the message. :)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRobertsOctober 25th, 2010, 9:21 am
Colorado

That's one nice smallie. That must have kept you busy for a piece!
Jmd123October 25th, 2010, 11:26 am
Oscoda, MI

That's a beauty, Matt! How long did it take you to subdue him? I got one almost that big - 19.5", but yours looks fatter - this past summer on my 3-weight and I was certain I was gonna lose him, felt like I had hooked a mule! Took me a good fifteen minutes to bring him to the net...

May I inquire, what fly?

Jonathon

No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jmd123October 25th, 2010, 11:27 am
Oscoda, MI

P.S. Glad to hear that Bob Clouser's home waters are still producing great big fat smallmouth!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
WbranchOctober 25th, 2010, 3:04 pm
York & Starlight PA

The river has been fishing very well the past three years in the Fall. During the June - August period I can't buy a smallmouth but in the Fall they come in near shore busting shad and shiners and feeding up for the winter.

The big boy took an honest ten minutes to land - it jumped repeatedly and ran much line on a drag that is quite tight. There is a strong current and a loose drag would have a fish that big 200' down river in no time.

I went out again today for four hours and landed over a dozen to 20" most were 15" - 18".

Spence - The fish actually take pity on an old man like me so get on my hook as a favor.
KonchuOctober 25th, 2010, 5:40 pm
Site Editor
Indiana

Wow. Really impressive. Surely, no photoshopping involved... :}
WbranchOctober 25th, 2010, 5:54 pm
York & Starlight PA

Anyone who knows me, or visits this site, will have seen pictures of large trout, bass, and steelhead that I've caught. I'd never resort to photoshopping when the real thing is just so much better. Here is another example of a recent successful outing.

You might be able to see the Black stone fly still in the upper right jaw.

Jmd123October 25th, 2010, 6:09 pm
Oscoda, MI

Matt, I had the benefit of NO current when I landed mine, as it was off of my friends' dock in a lake - in which I had never caught any smallmouth of any size, and it was in fact the biggest fish I have yet landed from this lake, besides my largest flyrod-caught smallmouth (by far, next biggest was 16" from 2007) and in fact largest smallmouth of my life on ANY tackle!

What rod and fly were you using? Just curious if it was in fact a Clouser Minnow...

Jonathon
OldredbarnOctober 26th, 2010, 7:41 am
Novi, MI

Spence - The fish actually take pity on an old man like me so get on my hook as a favor.

Matt,

If this is the case they must be feeling real bad for you old-man because they are sending their big boys out to smack your offerings!

I think it's more likely they have seen you so many times that they know you will land them properly, ASAP in other words, and after posing for the camera will be returned to the stream no-worse-for-wear. I use to joke, being a vegetarian, that they drew straws when I was fishing and they reassured the "loser" that he had nothing to worry about..."He's going to let you go...Trust us...No trip to the frying pan." :) They would then be able to sit it out until everyone else had taken their turn. Kind of a Russian roulette of the trout stream.

I was in to "schooling" the fish...I would pat them on the ass and say, "Better be a little more careful next time kid-o! The next fly you see may not be attached to my leader! You will find yourself floating in some warm butter instead of a cool clear trout stream."

The sections of the Au Sable we fish are in Crawford County...My fishing buddy and I would let out a war cry when we passed the County sign on the highway on our way up and someone would shout out that all the Brown trout in Crawford County somehow knew we were back and were tucking themselves a little further up under the undercut bank...Hey! We were younger then and a great deal more excitable.

Nice job though Matt showing the young whipper-snappers on this site that we old-timers earned that gray in our beards and those monster fish. It's all about time-on-the-stream, eh.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JesseOctober 29th, 2010, 9:51 am
Awsome fish man!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.