Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > When is enough, enough?, Page 2

OldredbarnJune 4th, 2010, 7:18 am
Novi, MI

Louis...I guess it's a good thing that we can at least laugh at ourselves but I think Roger may be on to something when he told me I was "transferring" when I tried to pin my obsessional behavior on good old Ernie. How could Ernie look so damn good when he fished? Those dandy Scandinavian sweaters and that feather in his cap! As much as I truely loved the guy, when I look at myself in the car windows before I head out I see the anti-Ernie...The Quasimodo of fly-fishing complete with the hump...To carry the Ernie/Spence antithesis one more step...Do you remember the last line in the movie when Quasi's hugging the gargoyle?...He says, "Why can't I be like thee?!"

B.J. I don't need a caddy, or a guide, or a pack mule, or a fly-fishing mini-mart...I just need to get my act together...Period! Now if your caddy was female and say 22 with "a balcony we could do Shakespeare from"...You may be on to something! Where do I sign up?:)

I know I referenced the "good old Buick" because when it's out of control it's always nice to have some good old Detroit steel to protect us as we head for that tree...My last comment here will betray my hippie-ness and my age and is from the old Firesign Theater..."We are All Bozos on this Bus"...He, he!

I'm glad I caused a chuckle or two, but let's go fishing and be careful out there and if you see me face down in a stream unable to right myself...How about a helping hand brothers of the angle...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
MartinlfJune 4th, 2010, 5:14 pm
Palmyra PA

There's more than one old hippie on this site. We'll sure lend a hand anytime we can.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
OldredbarnJune 4th, 2010, 6:23 pm
Novi, MI

Hey Louis you a Flyers fan? I'm sitting here watching Hockey Night in Canada and Philly's up 3-1 at the end of the first...Some of those PA Boys on this site have to be Flyer's fans, eh!?

I had to explain Kate Smith to my wife tonight at the start of the game...Us hockey folks, like us fly fishers, love that tradition!

We just had a hell of a storm rock through, hail, rain the whole shot. Knocked out the power abit. We just planted some flowers and I forgot a drain was covered over in the yard and it backed up washing some of the flowers down the drive...There was a big bubble of water under my sod until I cut through it with a shovel...The drains in the street were plugged and it was flooding...My neighbor on his side and me on my side shoveled the debris away from the drains and all is well...

As Nolton Nash used to say, "Now back to Hockey Night in Canada."

Take Care!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
DryflyJune 4th, 2010, 8:49 pm
rochester mn

Spence, just get a smaller vest.That way you have to chose what you carry. No room for eight fly boxes.

As a sidenote, Do you know of any good Iso spinner patterns?
Flatstick96June 5th, 2010, 8:15 am
Shawnny is a HUGE Flyers fan...
MartinlfJune 5th, 2010, 9:05 am
Palmyra PA

Spence, sorry to say I don't follow hockey, but that's probably because I'm actually a Tennessee boy, a transplant to Pennsylvania. I've been here about twenty years, but still have the southern lilt. Now, I'll butt in and recommend Harrop style parachute spinners to Shane for Isos; please offer your alternatives.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GONZOJune 5th, 2010, 10:46 am
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

There's more than one old hippie on this site.

True, Louis. You're in good(?) company, Spence.

Shane,

Here are some thoughts about simple, versatile ties for Iso spinners and duns:

Consider tying a synthetic Comparadun style for both. In my experience, a synthetic Comparadun wing can often suggest upright-winged and spent-winged spinners (as well as duns) with good success. Additional advantages are that the upright portion of the wing makes the fly very easy to see on the water and it is very durable.

I use a dark gray or slate-colored synthetic for the dun wings and a very light material for suggesting the spinner wings. I usually mix a little tan or light gray with white for the spinners. (If you want, you can also add a bit of pearl Krystal Flash to the wing, further enhancing the visibility.) I especially like Hi-Vis for synthetic wings on larger dries, but Antron or Z-lon (or probably many of the similar synthetics) can also work well.

If you just don't like synthetics, you could achieve a very similar result by closely "palmering" a hackle (of the appropriate color) through the thorax and trimming it flush across the bottom. In either case, should you feel that you really need a spent imitation, you can trim out the center (upright) portion of the wing onstream.

Another option would be to just tie the synthetic spinner patterns and carry a dark gray marking pen to color the wing if you encounter duns on the water. (Just keep in mind that on streams with a good Iso population, fishing the dun imitation as a "searching" dry can often work surprisingly well even when you don't see duns on the water.)

DryflyJune 5th, 2010, 2:18 pm
rochester mn

Thank you,
I actually just ran into that hatch for the first time ever. Needless to say I did not have a proper fly, so I didn't stick around for the fall. They were big fellas too, 15 mm so maybe size 8.

Probably, don't even have room for size 8s in my small vest, I'll have to make room.
GONZOJune 5th, 2010, 2:34 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Probably, don't even have room for size 8s in my small vest, I'll have to make room.

Either that or get a bigger vest. :)
DryflyJune 5th, 2010, 2:45 pm
rochester mn

I'll just have to take out those size 32 flying ants.
GONZOJune 5th, 2010, 2:57 pm
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

Yeah, at this stage in my life and eyesight, if I ever run into fish feeding on size 32 flying ants I'll probably just tie on a big black beetle. I tie the beetles big enough that if they were alive, they'd probably crap larger than size 32. :)
DryflyJune 5th, 2010, 3:34 pm
rochester mn

Big beetles are da bomb, come summer. They catch some biggies too.
VinlflyfishJune 5th, 2010, 3:44 pm
northern cambria

what beetle paturnes do u use use the foam beetle
trout; a mans best friend
DryflyJune 5th, 2010, 3:54 pm
rochester mn

I use a foam and a deer hair beetle, both in size 14. But I may have to whip up some bigger ones.
VinlflyfishJune 5th, 2010, 4:12 pm
northern cambria

do u tie ure own flies if u do do u have the instutions to tie the deer hair beetle
VinlflyfishJune 5th, 2010, 4:23 pm
northern cambria

dry fly do u tie flies
VinlflyfishJune 5th, 2010, 6:51 pm
northern cambria

dry fly do u tie ur own flies
DryflyJune 5th, 2010, 6:54 pm
rochester mn

I tie my own, beetles are really easy though.
VinlflyfishJune 5th, 2010, 6:57 pm
northern cambria

whats the instrutions for the deer hair beetle
Page:12

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.