Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Just started tying, but have a question.

Aaron7_8March 2nd, 2010, 7:09 pm
Helena Montana

I recently started tying and have even managed to be successfull on my ties on the first trip out. However, I noticed that on my flies the ribbing is sliding down and ending up on the end of the abdomen of fly. Is it just a sloppy tie or a common problem. It seemed to happen with wire under-bodies and tapered thread bodies. Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.
WbranchMarch 2nd, 2010, 8:05 pm
York & Starlight PA

Hello Aaron,

Haven't seen you here in a long time - nice to see you are still around. You wrote:

"However, I noticed that on my flies the ribbing is sliding down and ending up on the end of the abdomen of fly."

It sounds as if maybe you aren't winding the tinsel on with enough tension. Tinsel is pretty strong and won't break very easily. Therefore when you tie it in at the bend of the hook, and start to wind it forward, apply adequate tension so the tinsel is going on nice and tight and that should solve the problem if it doesn't come back and post again.

Wednesday 8:00 a.m.

I thought about your problem again with this comment in mind;

"It seemed to happen with wire under-bodies".

Sometimes if you apply a wire, or lead, underbody to the hook shank and then don't create a smooth, and tapered transition, from the wire or lead to the hook shank, with the thread, the slippery tinsel is going to have a tendency to slide off of the larger diameter and wind up on the smaller shank diameter.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Aaron7_8March 3rd, 2010, 6:21 pm
Helena Montana

Thanks Matt I have been lingering in the shadows with not to much to report or ask. It has been a long cold winter with several other "life" variables launch my direction. Again thanks for the suggestions they always seem to help. Tight Lines!
Shawnny3March 3rd, 2010, 7:24 pm
Pleasant Gap, PA

Depending on the type of tinsel you use, making a perfectly smooth underbody can cause tinsel to slide off more easily. When using mylar tinsel, sometimes I'll space the thread out on my final pass over the underbody (sometimes doing so from head to tail and back again) to create a bit of texture for the mylar to bite into. This also causes the tinsel to reflect light in more directions, which can be a nice effect.

Then there's one more (hopefully) obvious point: Make sure your tinsel wraps and thread wraps are in the same direction. And, of course, as Matt said, keep 'em tight! Loose wraps have no place in flytying.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
GutcutterMarch 4th, 2010, 9:11 am
Pennsylvania

"loose wraps have no place in flytying"

but - most of us are loosely wrapped!
gut
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
OldredbarnMarch 4th, 2010, 9:18 am
Novi, MI

Or seriously warped!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FalsiflyMarch 4th, 2010, 11:04 am
Hayward, WI.

Or wound too tight!
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
WbranchMarch 4th, 2010, 12:07 pm
York & Starlight PA

Now don't go and get to confusing Aaron!
Aaron7_8March 4th, 2010, 5:43 pm
Helena Montana

I have noticed all of the above from everyone from time to time. I have been using oval tinsel and not flat everytime I tried the flat it would break. So I guess I just need to put some more tension than I thought.
WbranchMarch 4th, 2010, 11:30 pm
York & Starlight PA

"I have been using oval tinsel and not flat everytime I tried the flat it would break. So I guess I just need to put some more tension than I thought."

Didn't you want to say "I guess I need to put less tension than I thought" if you are breaking the flat tinsel? You must be pulling it very hard as most Mylar tinsels will stretch before they break. Real metallic flat tinsels will snap if they are wound too tightly.

What are you tying that you need to use oval tinsel? Oval tinsel has a cotton thread core and isn't the easiest material to use even for guys who tie frequently.
OldredbarnMarch 5th, 2010, 7:56 am
Novi, MI

Matt said..."Now don't go and get to confusing Aaron!"

Spence replied...Yes dad! We'll behave...

The sun is out here in Michigan! Actual blue skies and I spotted a Coon nosing around the bare patches in the back yard yesterday...Could spring be too far behind?!

Time to make sure your tackle is in good shape and you just didn't toss it off in a corner somewhere at the end of last season! Check them waders for holes...Buy some new batteries for your night fishing lamps...Well you might not need those just yet, but hey!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Shawnny3March 5th, 2010, 9:23 am
Pleasant Gap, PA

Yeah, you shouldn't be snapping off the tinsel. The only other thing I can think to suggest is to be mindful of the angle at which the tinsel is tied in. If it has to be turned sharply at the tie-in point when you begin wrapping it, it's more likely to break (or make an unsightly lump). So tie it in as closely as possible to the angle at which you plan to wrap it.

Or, maybe you just need to buy better tinsel.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
WbranchMarch 5th, 2010, 2:42 pm
York & Starlight PA

"Spence replied...Yes dad! We'll behave..."

Now look just because I'm 70 years old don't be calling me Dad! Funny thing happened at Gander Moutain on Wednesday - I was trying to sell a guy a Plueger spin rod and reel combo and I said something that he took as me suggesting he didn't know what he was talking about and he says to me "Hey Pops do you think I'm that stupid!" I felt like saying "Well, ah yes you dumb MF'r!"
OldredbarnMarch 5th, 2010, 3:49 pm
Novi, MI

Matt,

This last post of yours had me laughing out loud...If that guy doesn't know enough to listen to you, you have our permission to slap the little shit around a bit...Maybe then he'll respect his elders!

Spence

WbranchMarch 5th, 2010, 4:17 pm
York & Starlight PA

Thanks, I'll remember that when I'm nursing my black eye and broken nose. BTW I was kidding about being 70, I'm only 66.
Aaron7_8March 5th, 2010, 8:21 pm
Helena Montana

I guess it was inexperience. It seemed to me that it was tougher the flat tinsel didn't look like it would take a solid tug without breaking. I am still working on the basics it seems that there is so much to learn it is difficult to find a good starting point.
WbranchMarch 6th, 2010, 3:17 am
York & Starlight PA

Aaron,

I'm hoping we can meet this July on the Missouri - should be easy with you living in Helena. I'm arriving on the 19th.
Aaron7_8March 6th, 2010, 10:17 am
Helena Montana

I hope everything works out this year. Last year just didn't work out when you where down. Will talk more about it as it gets closer.
Mfb1978March 21st, 2010, 6:12 am
Red Lion, PA

Aaron,
I am fairly new to fly tying as well and I have found that there are some great books out there for fly tying techniques. I have really improved my tying using these books. One in particular is the fly tier's benchside reference. It has photos and details of just about every tying techniques out there. It's a little pricey, but in my opinion, well worth it.
Mike
PatcrisciMarch 22nd, 2010, 2:51 pm
Lagrangeville, NY

I also like Eric Leiser's The Complete Book of Fly Tying. It is a great book for beginners and continues to be a great reference book.
Pat Crisci

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.