Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > if bass and carp are o.k., what about tarpon and permit?

Gutcutter has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
boca chica key - ocean side
boca chica key - ocean side
View Full SizeView Full Size (3.5X larger)
big pine key - ocean side
big pine key - ocean side
View Full SizeView Full Size (1.6X larger)
7x my ass
7x my ass
GutcutterFebruary 23rd, 2010, 6:28 pm
Pennsylvania

is it alright to post these seeing that i caught the permit on a crab fly and tarpon on a shrimp fly? they're really just big cousins to mayflies, right...
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
JADFebruary 23rd, 2010, 6:40 pm
Alexandria Pa

Great fish Tony ,I don't know if I like the fish our the Racing shoes. Don't let Louis see those checkered tennies .

And the water sure is blue.

Thanks for shareing
JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
WbranchFebruary 23rd, 2010, 7:00 pm
York & Starlight PA

Beautiful fish! Your pretty amazing going from 80# shock tippets to 7X for Spring Creek browns!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
OldredbarnFebruary 24th, 2010, 9:19 am
Novi, MI

Looks like a good time there Tony!

I may have posted this here before, but...Back in the early 90's I was fishing in front of a lodge that was owned by Carl Richards on the Au Sable. I came around the bend in front of the place and he was sitting in a chair on the dock with an early drink in his hand and his vest etc piled in another chair. We had a nice chat and I tried to get him to go fishing with me...He said, "If you would of asked me 10 years ago if I would ever own a boat I would of said no. You know once you have caught a fish that is as long as you are, or your boat is, these little 10" brookies sometimes just don't get it...You know what I mean?"

It's been on my mind ever since...What's not to like about the climate there, the cold beers with lunch, and fish that run in to your backing and a 10" brook would just be a snack?!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
GutcutterFebruary 24th, 2010, 9:43 am
Pennsylvania

yes spence that may be true, and there is no better battle than a big tarpon, no better eyes than a permit - but...
once you master distance casting and accuracy (and wind control) and once your eyes learn to see fish at a distance you have the sport down. there will be times when a tarpon will refuse a properly presented fly, but not too often. the key is getting the fly there quickly and making it lifelike.
conversly, you can drift a dozen different flies perfectly over a 22" brown during a hatch and finally find the right combo and hook up.
you feel great and think you've accomplished something when you get the screaming reel from a 'poon but also when you nail that big old brownie - at least i do.
saltwater fishing has changed the way that i go about trout fishing. i only sight fish in both enviornments now.
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.