Troutnut.com Fly Fishing for Trout Home
User Password
or register.
Scientific name search:

> > floating on the river

JADMarch 31st, 2008, 4:50 pm
Alexandria Pa

When your floating or drifting what does the law require. For New York and Penna. I have a small Waster Master raft and I would like to have every thing ready.
I didn't want to high-jack that other thread.

john

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
FlybyknightApril 1st, 2008, 11:49 am
Milton, DE

If you have a motor, even if its an electric, the boat needs to be registered.
You need life jackets.
Drift boats under 7 meters are exempt from lighting requirements provided you do not anchor in a channel.
It is a good idea to have an all around light at night so others do not ram you in the dark, and it can get really dark.

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
JOHNWApril 1st, 2008, 12:24 pm
Chambersburg, PA

John,
I'll have to check my regs book but I believe you are required to have a liscense or valid launch permit any time you launce a boat (even a belly boat) from any state owned/operated launch or on any state water.
Further you must have an appropriate floatation device for every passenger and I believe children under 12 must wear a PFD at all times.

John

P.S. I think there is a summary of basic boating regs in the book that comes with your fishing liscense, at least for PA.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WbranchApril 1st, 2008, 5:41 pm
York & Starlight PA

John hit the nail on the head. If you use a PA access or ramp to put in and/or take-out the boat needs to be registered. The registration for a unpowered boat is different from that of a powered boat. I put a 50# electric on my Hyde and needed a new type of regsitration. If you put in and take out on private property you don't need a registration. You always need PFD's for as many people are in your boat. You can get a "Use Permit" for a kayak or pontoon boat by going to the PFBC website and printing the application and mailing it in with your $2.00.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JADApril 2nd, 2008, 7:48 am
Alexandria Pa

tanks Guys

I called the fish comm and they said I needed a Launch permit and a life Jacket I can also go to the local lake permit (Lake Arthur)which in a DCNR State Park. Out west I thought I needed a whistle but I ask the officer and he said I did'nt need one for PA.

Regards

John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
JOHNWApril 2nd, 2008, 12:51 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Was looking at the PA boating access map after my post last night according to that a vessel (regardless of powered or not) must be liscensed/permitted regardless of the launch site. I think is primarily for those places where there are private holdings on a river or lake i.e. the Delaware, Lehigh, Susky......ect. My guess is this would be to ease the enforcement side of things.
I'm not sure if this has been enacted or not but there was a proposal requiring everyone to wear a PFD during "cold water" months (basically Sept-May)in any vessel smaller than 12'.
Again check with your local WCO.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WbranchApril 4th, 2008, 8:26 am
York & Starlight PA

JAD,

Since the Delaware River from Hancock downstream to at least Callicoon is a federal waterway and patrolled by federal wardens you must have a sound emitting instrument when you float the Delaware. Most guys use a whistle but you could also use one of those little air horns that come with a little catridge of CO2.

I learned the hard way about eight years ago when I was floating in my kayak and had stopped to fish. A warden came down and asked to see my whistle. I didn't have one and was fined.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MartinlfApril 4th, 2008, 3:19 pm
Palmyra PA

Thanks for this post, Matt. I've never had a whistle on me on the big D. I'll get one and put it in my boat box before I head up the next time.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.