or register.
Scientific name search:

> > Maryland? any suggestions

Report at a Glance

General Regionnear Conowingo dam

Details and Discussion

McjamesMay 7th, 2008, 9:55 am
Cortland Manor, NY

any suggestions? I am open to non-trout species... would love to pick up a hickory shad on the fly... but any pretty stream that I can flyfish will work. I will be down there next week and would like to sneak out...
I am haunted by waters
JOHNWMay 7th, 2008, 3:36 pm
Chambersburg, PA

Mcjames,
Not sure how far it would be but both Big Hunting and Big Owens are very pretty streams which also contain trout. These streams are found near the town of Thurmont just north of Frederick on US15.

Unfortunatly you are probably a month an a half late for the Shad Runs on the susquehanna and Deer Creek. I havent checked the water temps in a while but the Susquehanna flats cold be worth checking out for cow Rockfish or other warm water species that tolerate brackish and tidal waters.

Hope those tidits prove useful.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
GrannomMay 7th, 2008, 5:25 pm
Northwest PA

There is plenty of access to Big Hunting along 77 near Thurmont. The Potomac is probably a good bet for smallies and panfish. Also, trout in the north branch of the potomac. Call Murray at Hunting Creek Outfitters in Frederick. He should be able to help you out, or at least know someone who could. http://www.huntingcreekoutfitters.com/
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
McjamesMay 8th, 2008, 5:44 am
Cortland Manor, NY

thanks guys! I truly appreciate the help. JohnW-- can I wade the "Susquehanna Flats"?
I am haunted by waters
JOHNWMay 8th, 2008, 2:17 pm
Chambersburg, PA

In areas you can however it is a huge tidal basin, actually the very top of the Chesepeake Bay so access to a boat can make it great. I would think there would be reasonable access to things like white perch, and the like in close that could be great fun with the long rod.
You will need to check with MD DCNR as there are some special regs for fishing the flats due to it being a major spawning ground for linesiders.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
WbranchMay 11th, 2008, 7:33 pm
York & Starlight PA

You also need a MD tidal license.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JoshbentzMay 21st, 2008, 5:25 pm
Thurmont, MD

I have to agree with JOHNW and Grannom. I live in the Thurmont area and Big Huning Creek and Owens Creek are good spots. There is about four miles of public fishing on both creeks. The only hold up is that Big Hunting Creek, where it runs through Catoctin Mountain Park, is catch and release but it is wonderful to fish for Brook, Brown and Rainbow. Owens Creek is stocked through out the spring and once or twice in the summer. But if you are into hiking you can fish some good natural fish along Rt. 550 north of Thurmont between Eylers Valley and Sabillasville.
McjamesMay 22nd, 2008, 10:49 am
Cortland Manor, NY

thanks for all the info... went down there and all the streams were blown out. ended up spin fishing right below the dam elbow to elbow with ~20 other guys... not ideal but did catch an interesting mix of species: hickory shad, white perch, walleye, and a few stripers
I am haunted by waters

Quick Reply

You have to be logged in to post on the forum. It's this easy:
Username:          Email:

Password:    Confirm Password:

I am at least 13 years old and agree to the rules.